By kickoff, PA online sportsbooks put the Pittsburgh Steelers as 14.5 point-favorites against the Dallas Cowboys last week. The lone undefeated team versus a 2-6 squad down to their fourth-string quarterback didn’t unfold like the handicappers predicted.
The Steelers put up 15 points in the fourth quarter for the come-from-behind 24-19 win.
8-0 marks the best start in the history of the Steelers’ storied franchise. The Steelers’ Super Bowl odds are +600, second only to the Kansas City Chiefs (+350).
Opening lines at PA online sportsbooks had the Steelers as 7.5-point favorites against AFC North opponent Cincinnati Bengals. The game was taken off the menu for a few hours on Tuesday. Four Steelers, including quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, landed on the reserve/COVID-19 list. By Tuesday night, the game returned to the board and listed the Steelers as 6.5-point favorites, with the over/under at 45.5.
Perplexing playoff percentages for PA teams
Add this to the bizarre files of 2020:
The Eagles have a 79% chance to win their division, while the Steelers have a 72% chance, per ESPN's FPI.
Pittsburgh is currently 8-0. pic.twitter.com/AUu6s63WlT
— ESPN (@espn) November 9, 2020
Public leaning toward a Bengals cover
Betting splits from FanDuel as of Thursday for Bengals vs. Steelers:
- 65% of the money was on the Bengals (+6.5) to cover the spread
- 64% of the money was on the Bengals (+260) on the moneyline
- 83% of the money was on the OVER (45.5)
At BetRivers, the Steelers’ opening moneyline was -420, but the COVID-19 news moved it to -278. The Steelers are getting 93% of the ML bets; however, bettors are less confident that they will cover. The Steelers (-7) are only receiving 25% of the spread handle.
FanDuel’s Director of Publicity Kevin Hennessy said handle has been strong for the Steelers games recently. They cracked the Top 5 for handle for Sunday’s Week Eight games. Hennessy said:
“Part of this is due to typical local support in the Pennsylvania market, as well as the fact that they were playing a big game against division rivals. We anticipate support to continue to increase as they continue to win games.”
Other news from FanDuel included mentions of the only undefeated team in the NFL. The top three by bet in the Offensive Rookie of the Year market are Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Joe Burrow and Jonathon Taylor. But Steelers wide receiver Chase Claypool (+2000) is FanDuel’s biggest liability in that market.
Here is the latest breakdown on the “Any team to go 16-0” market: Yes (+1000)/No (-3000)
Steelers are stellar for bettors
After nine weeks, the Steelers are the lone undefeated team in the NFL. The Steelers, Bengals and Miami Dolphins are tops in the league with a 6-2 ATS record.
DraftKings Sportsbook Director of Operations Johnny Avello told PlayPennsylvania that the Steelers have always been a popular team, but their undefeated record and penchant for covering has increased their betting base.
“No question about it,” said Avello when asked if handle has increased for Steelers games as they continue to win.
“They perform well as underdogs and favorites. When you have a team that is making you money covering the spread as a favorite and as an underdog when you are able to take them on a moneyline, they are going to become a fan favorite.”
Cincinnati Bengals vs Pittsburgh Steelers odds
Here are the odds at FanDuel Sportsbook as of Wednesday, followed by the latest Steelers odds.
|Week 10 Odds||Spread||Moneyline||Over/Under|
|Cincinnati Bengals||+6.5 (-110)||+235||O 45.5 (-110)|
|Pittsburgh Steelers||-6.5 (-110)||-290||U.45.5 (-110)|
Pittsburgh Steelers 2020 odds tracker
(Odds via FanDuel Sportsbook)
|September 1, 2020||Oct. 1 (Week 6)||Oct. 20 (Week 7)||Oct. 27 (Week 8)||Nov. 3 (Week 9)||Nov. 10 (Week 10)||Nov. 17 (Week 11)||Nov. 24 (Week 12)|
|AFC North||+340||+220||+150||+120||-320||not listed||-800||-2500|
Cincinnati Bengals vs Pittsburgh Steelers betting preview
The Steelers trailed the Cowboys 13-0 with 3:46 remaining in the first half. A late touchdown (missed PAT) and a fumble recovery that led to a field goal cut the deficit to 13-9.
Pittsburgh fans had a scare when Roethlisberger left the game with a knee injury in the first half after throwing a TD pass to James Washington. He returned for the second half. The Steelers put up 15 points in the fourth quarter for the come-from-behind 24-19 win.
On Nov. 10, NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reported that Roethlisberger, Vince Williams, Jaylen Samuels and Jerald Hawkins were put on the reserve/COVID-19 list. They will isolate for five days, and each has to pass COVID-19 tests throughout the week before potentially being eligible to play on Sunday. According to Pelissero, each of the players was “deemed to have high-risk close contact with Steelers tight end Vance McDonald on Sunday.” Mike Tomlin told reporters that McDonald has already been ruled out for the Bengals game.
ESPN reported that even though Roethlisberger isn’t available to practice all week, the Steelers are anticipating that he’ll be available to play against the Bengals.
Sunday’s game marks the beginning of the Joe Burrow versus the Steelers era. The Bengals are coming off a surprise 31-20 win over the Tennessee Titans. At 2-4-1, the Bengals have tied their 2019 win total.
Bengals vs. Steelers betting stats and info from DraftKings
- The Steelers and Bengals are both 6-2 ATS.
- Pittsburgh is on a 10-game winning streak against the Bengals.
- Each of the last four games between the Bengals and the Steelers have gone UNDER.
- The Steelers’ defense is surrendering 20.1 ppg.
- A +7 turnover differential ranks the Steelers third in the league for that category.
Week 10 promos at PA sportsbook apps
- Beat the Spread Bonus: $1 bonus for every point your team beats the spread by
- Pigskin Parlay: Instant 50% cash boost when creating an eight-team parlay
- All-sport risk-free Sunday: First-time users only. First Sunday of betting is risk-free. DraftKings will cover net losses on Sunday events up to $100.
- New user deposit bonus: Get a 20% bonus, up to $500.
- A Sunday unlike any other: Get a 25% profit boost on the Masters or any NFL game on Nov. 15.
- Risk-Free $1,000 bet for new users: New users at FanDuel can get up to a $1,000 free bet. Register, make a deposit and place a wager on the FanDuel sportsbook app. Then, if the first wager loses, FanDuel will refund losses in the form of a free bet up to $1,000.
- Same-Game Parlay: Place a same-game parlay on any Week Nine, and if you don’t win, get a refund of up to $10 in site credit.
BetRivers Free NFL Profit Boost Every Week:
- Log in to BetRivers online sportsbook every Sunday and get a 50% profit boost (max $50 bet).
Bengals vs. Steelers Week 10 Bet Boosts
- $1 Bet Pays $50 if Pittsburgh scores (new users only)
- Roethlisberger to have two or more passing TDs and Steelers to win boosted from (-125) to +100
- Burrow to score a rushing TD in the first half boosted from (+600) to +700
- JuJu Smith-Schuster to score a TD in the first quarter boosted from +650 to +800
- Final Score: Steelers 31, Bengals 21 boosted from (+8000) to +10000
Complete Week 10 NFL Odds at PA Sportsbooks
Lead image credit: AP Photo/Frank Victores