The casino in Shippensburg plans to start construction in February and open in November 2022. The 73,000 sq. ft. mini-casino will be located at the site of a former Lowe’s in Shippensburg. Parx is already eying expansion in the rest of the available space in the building.
Information about Parx Casino Shippensburg
Address: 250 Conestoga Drive, Shippensburg 17257
Facebook/Twitter/Website: Not yet.
How many table games? 48 electronic table games.
How many slot machines? 500
Will there be a sportsbook? Yes
Will there be a racebook? No
Poker room? No
Is smoking permitted? No
Rewards: Xclub Rewards
Restaurants: Project plans listed a “first-class sports bar and restaurant.”
When does Parx Casino Shippensburg open?
Parx Casino in Shippensburg plans to open in November 2022.
Parx Casino Shippensburg updates
Jan. 19: Mini-casino gets approval for table games
Parx Casino Shippensburg, a mini-casino, got approval from the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board to offer table games.
John Dixon, Chief Operating Officer at Greenwood Gaming and Entertainment, the parent company of Parx Casino, said initially, Parx Casino Shippensburg plans to only have electronic table games with a live dealer (blackjack, roulette, baccarat, 3-card poker).
He also noted that the location is well-positioned to draw customers from Hagerstown and western Maryland.
Parx Casino Shippensburg, like Parx Bensalem, will be non-smoking. Dixon told regulators:
“In Bensalem, we remained non-smoking even when smoking was permitted again. We found our customers actually prefer a non-smoking environment. We plan to do the same thing in Shippensburg.”
Early renderings of Parx Casino Shippensburg showed a large vacant space next to the mini-casino and reps said they plan to develop for future expansion.
Timeline for mini-casino
- Feb. 2018: Parx won an auction for $8.1 million to develop a Category 4 casino in Cumberland County.
- Oct. 2018: Selected Shippensburg Township for the proposed development
- Oct. 2018: Submitted gaming Application to PGCB
- April 2019: Filed petition for approval to offer table games (amended on May 2021) and paid $2.5 million fee.
- May 2021: Held public input hearing
- Jan. 2022: Approved for table games
Projected economic benefits to Shippensburg from casino
“We are pleased to move the project forward and be one step closer to the Commonwealth and the local Shipp community realizing the benefits of the project,” said Sarah Stoner of Eckert Seamans, representing Parx.
During the Jan 2022 PGCB monthly meeting, Parx reps highlighted some of the projected economic benefits of the Parx mini-casino at Shippensburg.
- 175 construction jobs and $65 mullion of economic benefit generated during the construction phase in addition to $1.5 million in tax revenues for the state.
- 125 new permanent jobs with a projected $60 million in annual economic benefit to the state along with $25 million of additional gaming, income and business taxes.
- Parx touted the best benefits package in the regional gaming industry. The average annual salary at Parx casino will be $48,700.
- A total of $1.8 million per annum of local share funds will be generated for Shippensburg Township and Cumberland County. Also, additional property taxes will be generated by the new casino as a result of the increased assessment value.
Lead image c/o Parx