There’s good news and … even more good news, actually.
For starters, the NBA returns Thursday with a double dose of basketball. But to make it even better, DraftKings is offering all kinds of incentives to enhance the action.
New daily fantasy players will receive a free ticket to Thursday’s $4 NBA Return Millionaire contest that has a $3 million prize pool and a first-place payout of a million bucks. And then on Friday, the new users will get a $25 ticket to another millionaire contest with a similar prize pool and payouts.
But that’s just the beginning. The incentives at Pennsylvania betting apps might be even better.
DraftKings Sportsbook granting 5-1 odds on any NBA team
Players who are new to the DraftKings Sportsbook can get $100 with a $20 bet on the winner of any game on the NBA’s return weekend. NBA games between Thursday and Saturday are eligible. Here’s how it works:
- First, visit the landing page and pick your game by clicking “BOOST THIS GAME” next to the game of your choice.
- Be sure to pick wisely, as you cannot change your boosted game once you have clicked “BOOST THIS GAME.”
- Following opt-in, you’ll be issued a single-use odds boost to choose either team in that game. The boost is for +500 odds for a team to win that game.
- Make sure you’re logged in and refresh if the boost doesn’t appear at first.
- Apply your boost to the team in the matchup you want by adding that team’s moneyline to your bet slip and applying the boost. Your FIRST bet with the boost is your qualifying bet.
- The max bet is $20.
- There is one bet per user.
- This excludes live bets, parlays, cash-out bets, free bets and voided bets.
Basketball returns with a Thursday night double-header
The first chance to use the DraftKings sportsbook promo arrives at 6:30 p.m. Thursday when the Utah Jazz face the New Orleans Pelicans on ESPN. All games in the NBA’s restart will be played at ESPN’s Wide World of Sports complex in Kissimmee, Florida.
Later that night, the two Los Angeles teams meet in a game that features two of the NBA’s elite teams. The Lakers are the co-favorites to win the NBA title at +250. (The Milwaukee Bucks are also +250). The Los Angeles Clippers are third at +333.
In Thursday night’s crosstown matchup, the Lakers are 4.5-point favorites with a moneyline of -180. The Clippers are +150. The Clippers will be without standout guard Lou Williams, who is serving a 10-day quarantine for his activities outside the bubble. The game’s total is set at 216.
Which NBA teams give you the best odds with the DraftKings promo?
If you’re an analytical sort, perhaps you’re curious about which team playing this weekend has the best chance of winning. Here is the NBA’s complete weekend schedule, along with the moneyline odds at BetRivers/PlaySugarHouse:
- Orlando Magic (-265) vs. Brooklyn Nets (+215); Friday, 2:30 p.m.
- Memphis Grizzlies (+112) vs. Portland Trailblazers (-134); Friday, 4 p.m.
- Phoenix Suns (-275) vs. Washington Wizards (+225); Friday, 4 p.m.
- Boston Celtics (+160) vs. Milwaukee Bucks (-195); Friday, 6:30 p.m.
- Sacramento Kings (-136) vs. San Antonio Spurs (+114); Friday, 8 p.m.
- Houston Rockets (-105) vs. Dallas Mavericks (-113); Friday, 9 p.m.
- Miami Heat (+108) vs. Denver Nuggets (-127); Saturday, 1 p.m.
- Utah Jazz (-105) vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (-113); Saturday, 3:30 p.m.
- New Orleans Pelicans (+155) vs. Los Angeles Clippers (-186); Saturday, 6 p.m.
- Philadelphia 76ers (-230) vs. Indiana Pacers (+190); Saturday, 7 p.m.
- Los Angeles Lakers (-175) vs. Toronto Raptors (+145); Saturday, 8:30 p.m.
The biggest odds-on favorites are the Suns over the Wizards, the Magic over the Nets and the 76ers over the Pacers.
FanDuel also offering millionaire contests for NBA’s return
DraftKings isn’t the only place making daily fantasy millionaires this week. FanDuel also has a healthy menu of contests available for the NBA’s return. On Thursday, the $4 entry NBA Return Shot has a $3 million prize pool and pays out $1 million for first place.
FanDuel Sportsbook is also offering an interesting bonus on futures wagers. Players who opt in and make a $50 futures bet on any team to win the NBA Championship will earn $10 in site credit for each game their team wins in their first five games of the NBA’s return (up to a maximum of $50).
And if you’re wondering, the home state Philadelphia 76ers have futures odds of +2000 to win the NBA title.
FOX Bet featuring some custom 76ers bets in their first game back
Over at FOX Bet, there are some special wagers available for Philadelphia’s first game in the team’s restart Saturday night at 7 p.m. Here’s a quick rundown:
- Tobias Harris over 19.5 points and 76ers to win: +140
- Josh Richardson over 16.5 points and 76ers to win: +160
- Ben Simmons to record a double double and 76ers to win: +175
- Joel Embiid over 24.5 points and 76ers to win: +180
If you’d rather place a more traditional bet, FOX Bet has Philadelphia as a 5.5-point favorite. The game’s over/under is set at 211.
Welcome back, NBA
After a few months this spring that wrecked the sports calendar, we’re all overdue for good news.
Thankfully, some of it arrives this week. The NBA is back! And our region’s sportsbooks are helping the cause, adding to the excitement with incentives, promotions and plenty of contests.
It’s a double dose of good news.
And it’s exactly what we needed.