Chris Imperiale is the Managing Editor of PlayPennsylvania and covers legal Pennsylvania sports betting, online casinos in Pennsylvania, as well as the PA online poker industry. He has a journalism degree from Rutgers University and was formerly on staff at Bleacher Report. Chris has been working in this field since 2018, when he first started reporting on the New Jersey market, his home state.
He is an avid sports fan and bettor, who enjoys a night out in Atlantic City, or at one of the PA casinos in the Philadelphia region.
Along with a great team of journalists, Chris helps produce consistent gaming content covering the entire Keystone State, keeping bettors up to date with all of the important news around the area.
This ranges from announcements of new launches for Pennsylvania online casinos within the state, to new game and promo arrivals from all the top brands like BetMGM, Bally’s, Caesars and DraftKings.
PlayPennsylvania strives to deliver reliable news and information to assist local gamblers of all backgrounds.
Must Read Pennsylvania Gambling Articles by Chris Imperiale
Must Read Pennsylvania Sports Betting Articles by Chris Imperiale
Sports Industry News: Pennsylvania Sports Betting To Plateau Near $8 Billion Annual Handle In 2023
Sports Industry News: Fanatics Sets Sights On BetParx Sportsbook Acquisition For Pennsylvania Entry
Sports Industry News: Penn Entertainment Set To Acquire Remainder Of Barstool Sports In February
Statements on PA Gambling Industry
On PA casino revenue breaking records in March 2022:
“Most of the reasoning for this we say is the slowing down of sports betting at this time, with the lack of football and college football, with no NFL, more people are turning to online casino betting and it’s clearly continuing to sky rocket here.”
Found in: Fox 56
On PA casinos adjusting to boost revenue:
“In addition to retail sportsbooks, a number of the new bars, restaurants and concert venues that casinos have invested in lately are also clearly geared toward bringing in a new, younger clientele. When you hear about new bars with lawn games, fire pits and a Topgolf Swing Suites (Mohegan PA), you can bet they’re trying to reach a younger audience.”
Found in: The Center Square
On Pennsylvania casino revenue in November 2023:
“Pennsylvania online casinos refuse to slow down. In November, they set another all-time, all-market US record with nearly $192 million in gross revenue. This is the first time PA online casinos have generated more than $190 million in earnings in a single month. However, it’s the third straight report with revenue exceeding $186 million. November’s performance is a 2.7% increase from the prior month and around a 23% jump year over year. It beat out the state’s previous record from September by about $4.6 million. November also pushed table games revenue for this year beyond $430 million, already beating last year’s mark of $394 million. It’s evident the PA online casino market is tops in the US and should continue to roll going forward.”
On Pennsylvania sports betting revenue in November 2023:
“Pennsylvania sports betting continues to reach new heights. The mature market posted another new record for overall handle in the state, producing over $934 million in total bets in November. This is a 12.7% increase from October’s previous record showing and a more than 18% climb from November 2022. Of course, NFL betting drove the majority of the action, but the return of the NBA and its first in-season tournament helped, as well. The market is showing it still has room to grow, which could potentially mean another record is on the way in December.”
Posts by Chris Imperiale:
- Sportsbooks Generate Just Over $858M In Pennsylvania Handle In January, 20 Feb 2024
- Pennsylvania Slows Down With $189M In January Online Casino Revenue, 20 Feb 2024
- Prop Bet Highlights And Betting Insights From Eagles Narrow Super Bowl Loss, 13 Feb 2023
- Parx Shippensburg Cleared To Open Jan. 26 As Pennsylvania’s 17th Casino, 26 Jan 2023
- Fanatics Sets Sights On BetParx Sportsbook Acquisition For Pennsylvania Entry, 20 Jan 2023
- Penn Entertainment Set To Acquire Remainder Of Barstool Sports In February (Updated Feb. 17), 05 Jan 2023
- PGCB Reopens Online Casino Applications for Operators Outside PA (Updated Jan. 4), 27 Dec 2022
- WynnBet Gains License Approval As Next Step To Launch Online Casino in Pennsylvania, 14 Dec 2022
- Pennsylvania Online Casinos And Sportsbooks Now Require Multi-Factor Authentication, 13 Dec 2022
- NFL Squares Markets Now Available All Season Long For Pennsylvania Bettors, 23 Nov 2022