NFL wins are not easy. Not for sports bettors or teams.
They are especially difficult against Aaron Rodgers at Lambeau Field. Rodgers bested the Philadelphia Eagles in all of their past matchups, only tossing one interception.
So many things changed for the Eagles on Thursday night when they visited Green Bay. It was punctuated by a game-sealing Rodger’s interception by Nigel Bradham in the end zone with 25 seconds left.
- The Eagles pounded their way to 176 total rushing yards and three Jordan Howard touchdowns.
- The Packers were three yards away from tying the game and forcing overtime. The Eagles went from a possible 1-3 to a much more palatable 2-2.
- The Eagles have 11 days to tend to their various injuries before they host the 0- 3 New York Jets.
Sports bettors in Pennsylvania who bet the Eagles (+5) to cover the spread were also winners. PlaySugarHouse says the Eagles were the biggest winner for bettors throughout Week 4. Coming in as an underdog and winning outright as a 5-point underdog equaled a big payout for bettors
Week 5 puts the Eagles in an opposite position. At most Pennsylvania online sportsbooks the Eagles (-14.5) and the Patriots have the biggest point spreads. Wh
PA odds for New York Jets vs. Philadelphia Eagles
Here is a look at the latest NFL point spreads, moneylines, and totals for the New York Jets and Eagles game at the top PA sports betting sites, SugarHouse, BetRivers, Fox Bet, and FanDuel. (Last updated Oct. 5):
|PlaySugarHouse||PHI -14||44||NYJ +550
|BetRivers||PHI -14||44||NYJ +550
|FanDuel||PHI -14.5||43.5||NYJ +570
|FOX Bet||PHI -14||43.5||NYJ +700
Jets grounded by injuries
The Jets’ season ended up in the trauma ward after quarterback Sam Darnold was diagnosed with mononucleosis. Then backup quarterback Trevor Siemian broke his ankle in his first game filling in for Darnold. Third-string quarterback Luke Falk takes over until Darnold is cleared to return.
It might be a “back to work” game for the Jets. The Jets are coming off a bye and hope to get some key players back in the mix.
Here are some candidates who can return and make an impact:
- As of Monday 5 p.m., Darnold received partial clearance, meaning he can resume throwing and do non-contact work.
- Linebacker C.J. Mosely has missed time since the home opener with a groin injury.
- Mosely and the linebacking corps can be aided by the addition of edge rusher Jordan Jenkins (calf). The Jets only have five sacks in three games.
- Rookie defensive lineman Quinnen Williams missed two games with an ankle injury.
If these players are able to return their effectiveness remains a question. Will the Jets “rush” the players back with a tough three-game stretch. They play a trio of teams with Super Bowl aspirations in the Eagles, Cowboys, and Patriots.
Jets betting numbers to know
The Jets lost nine of their last 10 games to finish their 2018 campaign 4-12. Despite the dreadful number, they went into their 2019 with renewed hope due to Darnold’s development and the hiring of new head coach Adam Gase.
Here are some other numbers about the Jets:
- 1-2 ATS this season
- 1-4 ATS in their last five games
- 1-6 ATS in their previous seven games against Philadelphia
- +12,500 current Super Bowl odds. Only Arizona and Miami have worse odds.
Eagles taking flight
The Eagles’ secondary was dissected all evening by Rodgers, who threw for 422 yards and two touchdowns. But his intercepted tipped pass sealed the game for the Eagles. Despite its game-saving play, the Eagles secondary is still suspect.
Thursday night’s game further decimated their secondary, which was already missing Ronald Darby, Jalen Mills, and Cre’Von LeBlanc. Injury-plagued Sidney Jones left the game with a hamstring injury. Avonte Maddox suffered a scary neck injury/concussion. The Eagles put a band-aid on their gaping secondary wounds by signing Orlando Scandrick. On Monday, the team also completed a trade with the Atlanta Falcons that brings linebacker Duke Riley to the squad. These changes will likely not quell the cries for disgruntled Jaguars cornerback Jalen Ramsey.
How bad is the Eagles pass defense?
- 1,295 yards surrendered (most in the league)
- 323.8 passing YPG (most in the league)
- Nine passing TDs (fourth most)
The best medicine may be the Jets offense, who are the league’s worst in passing yards with 393 yds and one touchdown.
On the offensive side of the ball, head coach Doug Pederson’s play-calling was back in form with a healthy dose of runs and run-pass options. The Carson Wentz Comeback Tour continued with three touchdowns.
The Eagles offense has shown signs of being scary good. They’ve posted 27.5 PPG. That’s more than the Super Bowl-winning 2017 team put up through four weeks (25.75). Plus, this offense has been hampered by injuries to DeSean Jackson, Alshon Jeffrey, and Dallas Goedert.
Eagles betting numbers to know
The Eagles go from being an underdog against the Packers to a big favorite on Sunday. Here are some other numbers about the Eagles:
- 1-3 ATS this season
- 0-2 ATS at home this season
- Three games hit the over