After a first round bye, the No. 5 seed Villanova Wildcats (-13.5) hosted Holy Cross on Dec. 3 in the second round of the FCS playoffs. The Wildcats held on to beat to Holy Cross 21-16. Villanova advances to the quarterfinals to face South Dakota State (9-3) who beat Sacramento State 24 – 19.
The Wildcats (10-2) will host South Dakota State on Dec. 11 at 2 p.m. at Villanova Stadium.
Only some sports betting apps had odds for FCS playoff games early in the week.
FCS Playoff betting odds South Dakota State vs. Villanova
- Spread: Villanova +7
- Moneyline: Villanova (+225)/South Dakota State (-275)
- Total Points: Over/Under 49.5 (-115)
How Villanova made the FCS playoffs
Villanova finished the regular season 9-2. They lost to William & Mary 31-18 and FBS opponent Penn State, 38-17.
On Nov. 20, the Wildcats beat Delaware 21-13 and clinched the Colonial Athletic Association championship and an automatic bid to the 24-team FCS Playoffs.
The Wildcats last appeared in the FCS Playoffs in 2019 and lost in the first round. They have not one an FCS Playoff games since 2016.
Villanova betting preview
Holy Cross vs. Villanova stats
- Villanova avg. ppg 30.8; avg points against 15.1
- South Dakota State avg. ppg 38.6; avg points against 18.8
- Justin Covington leads Villanova with 717 rush yards; Jalen Jackson is tops with 6 rushing TDs
- Villanova quarterback Daniel Smith has thrown for 2296 yards and 22 TDs
- Rayjoun Pringle has 724 rec. yards and 7 TDs for Villanova
- South Dakota State – Pierre Strong leads the Jackrabbits with 1502 yards and 16 TDs
- Chris Oladokun has thrown for 2539 yards and 22 TDs
- Jaxon Janke has hauled in 894 rec. yards; Tucker Kraft has 6 rec. TDs
How to watch the FCS playoffs
The FCS playoff games have been on ESPN+. Currently, where the quarterfinal games will air is to be determined.
2021-2022 FCS National Championship odds
Sam Houston State won the 2021 FCS National Championship. They enter this year’s playoffs as the No.1 seed and are 10-0. At the end of September, Nova’s odds were +3300. The FCS Championship Game is on Saturday, Jan. 8, 2022.
2021-2022 FCS Championship odds
(From FanDuel as of Dec.5)
- North Dakota State: +135
- Sam Houston State: +300
- James Madison: +500
- South Dakota State: +600
- Villanova: +1800
- Montana State: +2000
- Montana: +2500
- Eastern Tennessee State: +10000
Lead image Barry Reeger/AP