Everything old is new again. The latest attempt at spring football is about to kickoff. The United States Football League has the benefit of widespread legalized sports betting, unlike other failed attempts at spring football over the last four decades. Betting on the USFL is legal in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and other states.
There are two PA teams in the USFL – the Philadelphia Stars and the Pittsburgh Maulers. However, they won’t be playing in Pennsylvania this season.
The 2022 United States Football League (USFL) starts on April 16. Here are some FAQs about the USFL and a betting guide.
Who owns the USFL?
Is the new USFL the same as the old USFL?
Technically no. While this is a new league that is using old USFL names and logos, executives of the 1980s USFL have objected and have filed suit against Fox to stop the new league. That court hearing is currently scheduled for April 18, a day after the Week 1 games have concluded.
Where will USFL teams play?
All 8 teams will play their ten regular-season games in Alabama to help keep the startup leagues’ costs down. The postseason will take place this summer in Canton, OH.
Who plays on the Philadelphia Stars?
Quarterback Bryan Scott was dubbed the “Division III Aaron Rodgers.” Outside linebacker Justin Moore is a four-time Power 5 hurdle champion. At 6-foot-4, 230 pounds, wide receiver Brennan Eagles will likely be Scott’s top target. Here’s the full 2022 Philadelphia Stars Roster.
What to know when betting on the USFL
Is it legal to bet on the USFL?
Yes. Betting on the USFL is legal in Pennsylvania. You’ll find USFL betting lines and odds at sports betting apps like FanDuel, DraftKings and BetMGM?
What rules for the USFL are different than the NFL?
- Extra points: USFL teams can go for 1, 2, or 3 points after a touchdown. An extra point is from the 15-yard line, a 2-point conversion from the 2-yard line and a 3-point try from the 10.
- Onside kicks: Teams can do onside kicks. But they can also choose to attempt a fourth-and-12 play from the 33-yard line.
- Clock stoppages: Just like college football, the clock will stop following a first down during the final two minutes of the second and fourth quarters.
- Overtime: A best-of-three “shootout” format that consists of each offense getting a chance to score from their opponent’s 2-yard line. Sudden-death style will occur if teams are still tied after three attempts.
Tips for betting on the USFL
Fox Bet associate trader Stever Hemke expects teams to score and the rules translate to higher-scoring games.
“The biggest rule differences should all favor higher scoring games for recreational bettors,” Hemke said. “The option to go for one, two or three (points) and the opportunity to have a nine-point possession likely means higher scoring and increases chances for large comebacks.
“The onside kick alternative allows teams to try and convert a fouth-and-12 from the 33-yard line, allowing teams to keep possession when trailing. Unlike the NFL, the clock will stop following a first down during the final two minutes of the second and fourth quarters.
USFL Week 1 lines
Of course, with a new league, bookmakers will adjust. Here is a look at USFL Week 1 lines and point spreads.
- New Jersey Stallions vs. Birmingham Stallions (-3) O/U 42.5
- Houston Gamblers vs. Michigan Panthers (-2.5) O/U 43.3
- Philadelphia Stars vs. New Orleans Breakers (2.5) O/U 44
- Tampa Bay Bandits (-4) vs. Pittsburgh Maulers O/U 42
What are some ways to bet on the USFL?
To start, sportsbooks are offering spread, moneyline and totals. There are also futures odds to win the USFL Championship. As the season progresses, you will probably see more ways to wager on the USFL such as first-half spread, ML, and total.
Odds to win the 2022 USFL Championship
Lead image c/o Shutterstock