The goal of 32 NFL teams is singular: win the Super Bowl.
But there are different ways to do it. The Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers are on their way to Super Bowl LIV in Miami after convincing conference championship wins that were a study in contrasts.
Patrick Mahomes passed for three touchdowns and ran for a tightrope-walking, defender-shedding touchdown. In his second straight conference championship game of his young career, Mahomes and the Chiefs wouldn’t be denied as they beat the Tennessee Titans, 35-24.
49ers running back Raheem Mostert was cut seven times during his NFL career. On Sunday, Mostert cut up through the Green Bay Packers for four touchdowns and 220 rushing yards (the second-most ever in a playoff game). The 49ers’ staunch defense stymied Aaron Rodgers (9/12, 64 yards, 1 INT in the first half) and took a 27-0 lead into halftime. The 49ers went on to win 37-20.
Early Super Bowl betting lines have the Chiefs as 1.5-point favorites with the over/under at 53.5
The Chiefs return to the Super Bowl for the first time in fifty years. The 49ers, who only had four wins last year, were in the Big Game in 2013.
AFC Championship Betting Breakdown
The Chiefs, who were 7-point favorites, covered the spread and rewarded those who took the over (52.5) in their 35-24 win over the Titans. Of those betting the over/under, 57% had over, with the closing line at 51. That line had dropped from the opening line of 52.5 in the final two days before the game.
At BetRivers the Chiefs had:
- 62% of the moneyline handle
- 54% of the moneyline tickets
- 69% of the spread handle at -7
- 60% of the spread tickets
- The first score was a Titans field goal which paid about 5-1
NFC Championship Betting Breakdown
At BetRivers, the Packers and 49ers earned significant support from both sides. The 49ers were 7.5-point favorites and the over/under was 46.5. The 49ers had 54% of the moneyline tickets, but the Packers had 66% of the handle. This meant that larger individual bets were placed on the Packers since they would return +265 if they won.
Here’s the betting review of the NFC Championship at BetRivers:
- The Packers had 61% of the moneyline handle, down from 66% entering the weekend.
- Green Bay had 54% of the moneyline tickets, up from 46% late in the week.
- The Packers got 53% of the spread handle, up from 49% late in the week.
- San Francisco held 51% of the spread tickets, up from 46% entering the weekend.
- A total of 64% of over/under bets went on the over, which paid out.
At FanDuel, Packers were a popular pick
Despite being crushed by the 49ers 37-8 in the regular season, the Pack got lots of support at FanDuel.
82% of public money is on @packers on the MONEYLINE. 82%!! I didn’t expect that…but I love it. You can bet GB outright now at +290 on @FDSportsbook app. Curious to know your play…are you betting the ML? Spread? Total? Taking the Packers or @49ers ?? #FanDuel #NFL #GBvsSF pic.twitter.com/TwyzZ3VdC4
— Lisa Kerney (@LisaKerney) January 17, 2020
Henry was MVP Favorite at DraftKings
Despite being underdogs to get to the Super Bowl, Derrick Henry leads in MVP bets. pic.twitter.com/7XyYDlXGjG
— DraftKings Sportsbook (@DKSportsbook) January 16, 2020
Super Bowl Betting Preview
It’s still thirteen days away, but it’s never too early to look at the lines, props and parlays for the Super Bowl. Here are some early bets and lines to get in on at the two most popular PA online betting apps.
FanDuel online sportsbook
Spread/total points parlay:
- 49ers (+1.5) and over (52.5) points: +240
- 49ers (+1.5) and under (52.5) points: +280
- Chiefs (-1.5) and over (52.5) points: +240
- Chiefs (-1.5) and under (52.5) points: +290
Any time touchdown scorer:
- Damien Williams: -135
- Raheem Mostert: -125
- Travis Kelce: +110
- Tyreek Hill: +110
- George Kittle: +125
- Matt Breida: +200
- Tevin Coleman: +200
- Deebo Samuel: +210
- Sammy Watkins: +260
- Patrick Mahomes: +370
Super Bowl MVP:
- Patrick Mahomes: +100
- Jimmy Garoppolo: +240
- Raheem Mostert: +750
- George Kittle: +1700
- Travis Kelce: +1800
- Deebo Samuel: +2000
Super Bowl betting at DraftKings online sportsbook
Moneyline and total points parlay:
- Chiefs and over (53.5): +230
- Chiefs and under: +230
- 49ers and over: +270
- 49ers and under: +270
To score first touchdown and team to win:
- Damien Wiliams: Yes +1100
- Raheem Mostert: Yes +1100
- Tyreek Hill: Yes +1200
- Tevin Coleman: Yes +2500
- Patrick Mahomes: Yes +4000
- Darwin Thompson: Yes +6000
- LeSean McCoy: Yes +6000
Total passing yards:
- Patrick Mahomes over/under 299.5: -112
- Jimmy Garoppolo over/under 240.5: -112
Total TD passes:
- Jimmy Garoppolo over/under 1.5: -112
- Patrick Mahomes over/under 1.5: -112
Super Bowl MVP:
- Patrick Mahomes: +110
- Jimmy Garoppolo: +200
- Raheem Mostert: +500
- Tyreek Hill: +1600
- Travis Kelce: +1600
- George Kittle: +2000