It’s been a while. Penn State plays in the Rose Bowl on Monday for the first time since 2017.
And although Penn State had some disappointing losses (Michigan, Ohio State) this year, a win over Utah in “The Granddaddy of Them All” would add a lot of shine to what has been a solid season overall.
The 108th Rose Bowl game will kickoff at 5 p.m. Monday on ESPN. Most PA sportsbooks have the Utes as 2.5-point favorites. The game’s total is set at 51.5 points.
Rose Bowl betting lines Penn State vs. Utah
Penn State betting preview vs. Utah
Stats provided courtesy of DraftKings Sportsbook
- Penn State 9-3 ATS; Utah 8-5 ATS
- Penn State 8-4 O/U; Utah 7-6 O/U
- Penn State 35.8 avg. points for; Utah 40.0 avg. points for
- Penn State 18.0 avg. points against; Utah 20.4 avg. points against
Penn State players to watch in the 2023 Rose Bowl
Sean Clifford: The Penn State quarterback will end his long career for the Nittany Lions in Pasadena. Clifford has thrown for 2,543 passing yards and 22 touchdowns this season. He will look to carry Penn State to victory in what could be a storybook ending for an up-and-down career.
Nicholas Singleton: The freshman running back needs just 51 yards on Monday to reach 1,000 for the season. Singleton has rushed for 10 touchdowns and has fueled a dynamic rushing attack along with fellow freshman Kaytron Allen (830 rushing yards, 9 TDs).
Ji’Ayir Brown: Penn State’s senior safety could be a key player against a Utah offense that has averaged 40 points per game. Brown has made an impact on multiple fronts this season, leading the team with 66 tackles, while also recording three sacks and three interceptions. He’ll lead the Nittany Lions defense against the Utes and quarterback Cam Rising, who accounted for over 300 yards of total offense and three touchdowns in the Rose Bowl last year.
As is the case with many teams, Penn State will be missing a few key players in Monday’s game as they prepare for the NFL Draft. Those players are:
- Joey Porter, Jr. – Defensive back
- Parker Washington – Wide receiver
How to bet on college football in Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania has 14 legal and regulated sports betting apps. You can bet on college football in PA in a variety of ways, including:
- Live/in-game betting
- 1st half spread, moneyline, total,
Player props for college football are not offered at Pennsylvania sportsbooks. So, you won’t see betting lines for wagers on individual players, such as Sean Clifford over/under passing yards.
Penn State Football 2022 betting odds
Penn State has already exceeded its season win total and also earned a good return for those who bet on the Nittany Lions to reach 10 wins.
Here are Penn State’s preseason odds from FanDuel Sportsbook:
- Win total: Over 8 (-150)/Under 8 (+125)
- Odds to win National Championship: +10000
- Odds to win Big Ten East: +800
- To win 10+ games: +300
College Football New Year’s Six bowl odds
Some huge college football games will kickoff before Penn State takes the field in the Rose Bowl, with the College Football Playoff starting on Saturday. Here are some of the best bowl games to watch, with betting lines provided by BetMGM PA.
- No. 3 TCU (12-1) vs. No. 2 Michigan (13-0); 4 p.m. on Dec. 31 (ESPN)
- BetMGM spread: Michigan -7.5
- The Horned Frogs and Wolverines kick off the College Football Playoff on Saturday and many PA sportsbooks will have enhanced offerings thanks to the game’s importance. Michigan and TCU enter the Fiesta Bowl with similar styles, which could make for a compelling game.
- No. 4 Ohio State (11-1) vs. No. 1 Georgia (13-0); 8 p.m. on Dec. 31 (ESPN)
- BetMGM spread: Georgia -6.5
- Georgia, the defending National Champion, will be playing near home in Atlanta’s Peach Bowl. The Buckeyes hope to follow in the footsteps of Ohio State’s 2014 team, which won the first College Football Playoff as a No. 4 seed.
- No. 5 Alabama (10-2) vs. No. 9 Kansas State (10-3); 12 p.m. on Jan. 2 (ESPN)
- BetMGM spread: Alabama -6.5
- Alabama surprised many by missing the College Football Playoff this season. The Crimson Tide look to finish with a Sugar Bowl trophy against Kansas State, who beat TCU in the Big 12 Championship.
- No. 22 Mississippi State (8-4) vs. Illinois (8-4); 12 p.m. on Jan. 2 (ESPN2)
- BetMGM spread: Mississippi State -1
- Most everyone will be rooting for the Bulldogs in the ReliaQuest Bowl after Mississipi State tragically lost its head coach, Mike Leach, in December. Defensive coordinator Zach Arnett will be the interim head coach for MSU.
Complete 2022 college football bowl game odds at PA sportsbooks
If you’re building some parlay wagers for this year’s bowl games, here is the full list of upcoming college bowl games and spreads.