The Pittsburgh Panthers came out flat in its ACC opener, falling to Georgia Tech as a huge favorite, 26-21.
Pitt did not create a controversy with the spread, losing outright a 21.5-point favorite, but the total had bettors sweating. Pennsylvania sportsbooks had the closing total between 46-47.5. Under bettors at 46.5 or 47 fell victim to a bad beat as both teams combined for 31 points in the fourth quarter.
Rivers Casino Pittsburgh bettors pushed with the total set at 47.
“If you had the under going into the third quarter, you could have taken that to the bank,” Max Schmerin, sportsbook manager at Rivers Casino Pittsburgh, said. “That’s the beautiful thing about betting and football, you just never know.”
With the loss, Pitt (3-2) falls out of the AP Top 25.
The Panthers played sloppy football, committing 12 penalties for 75 yards and turning the ball over three times. They went 2-for-12 on third down and allowed the Yellow Jackets to rush for 236 yards.
Pittsburgh hopes to turn things around next week in another home ACC clash against Virginia Tech at 3:30 p.m. College football betting lines are available now available at Pennsylvania sports betting apps. The Panthers open as 14.5-point favorites against Virginia Tech and with the total at 43.5.
Pittsburgh Panthers betting odds and spread vs. Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech vs. Pitt betting preview
- Pitt record 3-2; Virginia Tech record 2-3
- Pitt 1-4 ATS; Virginia Tech 1-4 ATS
- Pitt 3-2 O/U; Virginia Tech 0-5 O/U
- Pitt 33 avg points for; Virginia Tech 18.20 avg points for
- Pitt 25.6 avg points against; Virginia Tech 22.20 avg points against
Players to watch for Pittsburgh
- Top running back Isreal Abanikanda left with an upper-body injury in the second quarter and did not return. He finished with 10 carries for 31 yards. Abanikanda’s staus is worth monitoring throughout the week.
- Run defense: The Panthers got manhandled up front, allowing 5.4 yards per carry and 236 rushing yards to the Yellow Jackets.
- Vincent Davis took over for Abanikanda after he went down and had 15 carries for 80 yards.
Pittsburgh Panthers vs. Virginia Tech betting insight
The Panthers laid an egg in their ACC opener and Schmerin said it’s the norm for fans.
“This is the Pitt that people are used to over the last couple of years besides the Pickett era and the unbelievable season they had last year,” Schmerin said. “With teams you think they should beat, they just find a way to lose.”
Pitt bettors are still backing their squad. Schmerin said 88% of the money and 86% of the tickets is on Pitt to cover the 14.5-point spread.
Pitt Panthers 2022 schedule and results
- Pittsburgh 38, West Virginia 31
- Tennessee 34, Pittsburgh 27 (OT)
- Pittsburgh 34, Western Michigan 13
- Sept. 24: Pittsburgh 45, Rhode Island 24
- Oct. 1: Georgia Tech 26, Pittsburgh 21
- Oct. 8: Virginia Tech vs. Pittsburgh
- Oct. 22: Pittsburgh vs. Louisville
- Oct. 29: Pittsburgh vs. North Carolina
- Nov. 5: Syracuse vs. Pittsburgh
- Nov. 12: Pittsburgh vs. Virginia
- Nov. 19: Duke vs. Pittsburgh
- Nov. 26: Pittsburgh vs. Miami-Florida
College Football betting lines
Lead image Keith Srakocic/AP