The Philadelphia Phillies have to feel they are playing the schoolyard game “red light, green light” more than they are playing actual baseball. Their attempt to conduct a 2020 season has been hindered by the coronavirus pandemic. During their first series against the Miami Marlins, the Phillies were exposed by the infected Marlins. As a result, their next seven games were canceled.
If the season, which is already in peril, comes to a conclusion on Sept. 27, the Phils will have to play 57 games in 56 days. The all-out sprint and delicate dance to avoid COVID-19 starts on Monday night. The Phillies return to action against the New York Yankees (7-1). Jake Arrieta will make his first start against Yankees ace Gerrit Cole.
It shouldn’t come as a shock that the Phillies are huge underdogs against the Yankees at all PA online sportsbooks.
Yankees big favorites as Phillies return to the field
The Phillies were cleared to work out at Citizens Bank Park on Saturday. It was only their second workout since last Saturday. So it’s no surprise that the Yankees, the best team in baseball, are overwhelming favorites against the Phillies. Just how big of favorites are the Yankees? DraftKings, BetRivers and Unibet all have them priced at -305.
Philadelphia Phillies (J. Arrieta) vs. New York Yankees (G. Cole)
(Odds via FanDuel)
- Moneyline: Phillies +245/Yankees -290
- Over/under: Over 9 (-120)/Under 9 (-102)
- Spread: Phillies +1.5 (+122)/Yankees -1.5 (-144)
Phillies vs. Yankees betting stats
The Phillies were favorites in all three games against the Marlins during their opening series. However, they lost two of the three games. And two of the games went under the run total.
The Yankees bring a six-game winning streak, a scorching-hot slugger (Aaron Judge) and the crown jewel of free agency (Cole) into Monday night’s matchup.
Betting stats from DraftKings:
- The Yankees covered the run line as favorites 75% of the time.
- Games at Yankee Stadium average 9.7 runs.
- The average winning margin at Yankee Stadium is 3 runs.
- The Yankees have won all three of their home games so far.
Phillies vs. Yankees bet boosts for Monday, Aug. 3
FanDuel Bet Boosts
- Aaron Judge to hit a home run and the Yankees win boosted from (+340) to +420 (max bet $50)
- Bryce Harper to hit a home run boosted from (+280) to +325 (max bet $50)
DraftKings Bet Boosts
- Aaron Judge to hit a home run in the sixth straight game boosted from (+245) to +400
- Gerrit Cole to record 10 or more strikeouts and Yankees to win boosted from +400 to +440
Fox Bet Boosts
- Aaron Judge to hit a home run and New York Yankees to win boosted from (+190) to +250
- Bryce Harper and Giancarlo Stanton to both hit a home run boosted from (+850) to +1000
- Bryce Harper to hit a home run and Phillies to win boosted from (+1000) to +1200