It’s time to be happy in Happy Valley as Pennsylvania sportsbooks have released odds for the 2022 college football season. PA sports bettors can wager on Penn State football right now.
Penn State is coming off a 7-6 season in 2021, which ended in a 24-10 loss to Arkansas in the Outback Bowl. The Nittany Lions could not sustain a 5-0 start under head coach James Franklin.
Franklin is entering Year 1 of a 10-year, $70 million contract he signed in November 2021. He will have to prove he’s worth the big contract after a combined 11-11 record over the last two seasons.
The 2022 college football season starts on August 27.
Penn State National Championship odds
Oddsmakers are expecting Penn State to at least be a Top 25 team. At the time of writing, books are not in agreement on their exact odds of winning it all.
- FanDuel PA sportsbook has Penn State at +10000 to win the National Championship, tied for the 13th-best odds with seven other schools.
- BetMGM sportsbook lists Penn State at +8000, which is tied for 16th-best along with Arkansas, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Wake Forest and Wisconsin.
- DraftKings PA offers the shortest odds for the Nittany Lions, listing them at +6000 along with Florida for the 13th-best odds.
All three PA sports betting apps have Alabama as the favorite to win the national championship with Georgia following.
Penn State updated futures odds
Big Ten Conference futures
It’s no surprise that Ohio State is the team to beat in the Big Ten. Its 2021 class was ranked No. 2 overall in the country with seven five-star recruits. The 2022 class is ranked No. 4 overall.
The Buckeyes also have sophomore quarterback C.J. Stroud. He finished with 4,435 yards, 44 touchdowns and six interceptions as a freshman. Stroud is the favorite to win the Heisman Trophy at DraftKings (+250) and FanDuel (+200). He trails Alabama quarterback Bryce Young (+250) on BetMGM with +400 odds.
Odds to win Big Ten East
Odds to win Big Ten West
Penn State roster breakdown
Penn State lost a total of 13 players to the NFL, eight of whom were drafted. In his final year of eligibility, quarterback Sean Clifford will return to Happy Valley as a sixth-year senior. Clifford will get help on the outside as the Nittany Lions added wide receiver Mitchell Tinsley from Western Kentucky from the transfer portal. Tinsley was second-team all-conference in Conference USA with 87 catches, 1,402 yards and 14 touchdowns last season.
Penn State also added an All-Ivy League offensive lineman Hunter Nouzard from Cornell and edge rusher Dameioun Robinson from Maryland. Robinson has three years of eligibility remaining and was the No. 4 edge rusher in 2021.
Robinson will be under the guidance of former Miami head coach and new defensive coordinator Manny Diaz.
Penn State regular season betting lines
Some betting lines for the 2022 season are now available at PA sports betting apps. More odds will be added as they become available.
Week 1, Sept 1: Penn State at Purdue betting lines
- Week 2, Sept. 10: Ohio at Penn State
Week 3, Sept. 17: Penn State at Auburn betting lines
- Week 4, Sept. 24: Central Michigan at Penn State
- Week 5, Oct. 1: Northwestern at Penn State
Week 6, Oct. 15: Penn State at Michigan betting lines
- Week 7, Oct. 22: Minnesota at Penn State
- Week 8, Oct. 29: Ohio State at Penn State
- Week 9, Nov. 5: Penn State at Indiana
- Week 10, Nov. 12: Maryland at Penn State
- Week 11, Nov. 19: Penn State at Rutgers
- Week 12, Nov. 26: Michigan State at Penn State
Big Ten 2022 win totals
DraftKings PA sportsbook has released win totals for the 2022 season.
Big Ten East win totals:
- Ohio State: Over 10.5 (-205) / Under 10.5 (+165)
- Michigan: Over 9.5 (-120) / Under 9.5 (+100)
- Penn State: Over 8.5 (+105) / Under 8.5 (-125)
- Michigan State: Over 7.5 (+100) / Under 7.5 (-120)
- Maryland: Over 6 (+100) / Under 6 (-120)
- Indiana: Over 4 (-110) / Under 4 (-110)
- Rutgers: Over 4 (+100) / Under 4 (-120)
Lead image Barry Reeger/AP