Patrons entering any one of four Hollywood Casinos in Pennsylvania will be greeted by a new security team. This new security features robots that can talk.
Knightscope’s robot technology, also known as the K5 Autonomous Security Robot (ASR), are designed to add an extra layer of security for the human staff at PENN Entertainment’s locations throughout Pennsylvania.
While many facilities are focused on cybersecurity, which luckily didn’t recently affect PA casinos online, PENN Entertainment is beefing up its physical security.
PENN Entertainment implements ASRs onto PA casino security teams
PENN Entertainment has four Hollywood retail locations in Pennsylvania. They are:
- Penn National Race Course
- The Meadows
While Morgantown and York are considered PA mini-casinos, Penn National Race Course and The Meadows are Category 1 establishments, which are racetrack facilities.
A press release stated that the ASRs have already been implemented in the following locations:
- M Resort Spa Casino in Nevada
- Ameristar Casino Hotel Council Bluffs in Iowa
- Hollywood Casino Aurora in Illinois
Though it’s unclear which specific properties in Pennsylvania receive the robot security, they will be added to 43 of PENN Entertainment’s gaming and racing locations nationwide.
Knightscope CEO, William Santana Li, said:
“PENN Entertainment’s commitment to safety and the guest experience is extraordinary. We are overjoyed that we will be providing Knightscope technologies across its portfolio to protect the surge of guests arriving and departing from all of its properties daily.”
What ASRs will look like inside Hollywood Pennsylvania casinos
The ASRs will not be all that big. They only stand 5-foot-2, but are 33.5 inches in width and weigh 398 pounds. The machines can also hold up outside for long periods of time and endure the harsh PA winters.
Laid out by Knightscope, ASRs have some impressive capabilities:
- Force multiplying physical deterrence
- 360-degree, eye-level video streaming and recording in HD
- People detection during certain restricted hours
- Thermal anomaly detection
- Automatic signal detection (watchlist for approved, denied and unknown MAC addresses)
- License Plate Recognition (parking monitor and watchlist for approved and denied vehicles)
- Operates 24/7/365 outdoors
- Robust, automotive-grade design
- Continues monitoring in adverse conditions
- Successfully patrols parking lots and structures
- Navigates multiple levels
- Coverage is extended using inclined surfaces
In addition to these skills, ASRs will be able to greet patrons with a friendly voice, while also providing additional eyes and ears for the main security team.
Why physical security is just as important as cybersecurity at PA online casinos
Caesars reportedly paid tens of millions of dollars in ransom money. However, reports have indicated that Caesars Rewards members’ driver’s license and Social Security numbers were stolen.
Luckily, Caesars’ retail location in Pennsylvania, Harrah’s Philadelphia, was not affected in any way. With any security issue, Caesars may have lost some trust with certain customers.
Having top-notch security at retail casinos should also be an important priority. In the Fiscal Year 2022/2023, Pennsylvania recorded the highest retail slot revenue ($2.45 billion) since 2011/2012, setting the stage for a record-setting fiscal year.
Making customers feel safe is a pressing matter for Pennsylvania casinos, which will continue to help drive impressive revenue growth.