The Super Bowl is the biggest betting event of the year, and there are more ways than ever to wager in Pennsylvania.
In the most-bet ever championship games, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Kansas City Chiefs punched their tickets to Super Bowl LV. For the wild card Buccaneers and Tom Brady, it will be a home game at Raymond James Stadium.
Super Bowl 55 details:
- Kansas City Chiefs (1) (AFC) (14–2) vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5) (NFC) (11–5)
- Feb. 7 at 6:30 p.m. EST
- Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Florida
Opening lines for Super Bowl LV put the Chiefs as 3-point favorites with the total points at 56. Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes is the favorite to win Super Bowl MVP (-105 at FanDuel and +100 at DraftKings).
Here, we provide a guide to betting the Super Bowl in Pennsylvania that’s updated regularly with news, promos, betting splits, bet boosts and more.
Super Bowl LV betting stats
Betting stats and info for Chiefs vs. Buccaneers from DraftKings:
- The Chiefs’ win probability is 60%.
- The Chiefs are 8-9-1 ATS; the Buccaneers are 10-8-1.
- Nine of the Chiefs’ 18 games have gone over. Eleven of the Bucs’ 19 games have gone over.
- The Bucs are on a seven-game winning streak.
- Average points per game for the Chiefs is 29.6; for the Bucs, 30.7
- Chiefs’ average points against: 22.4; the Bucs: 22.3.
Big Super Bowl LV bets
Notable Super Bowl LV futures bets at William Hill Sports Book:
- $40,000 placed on Tampa Bay at 12/1 odds to win the Super Bowl. The wager was placed on Jan. 2, 2021, at the William Hill Sports Book at Capital One Arena (Washington, D.C.). If the Buccaneers win, the wager nets $480,000.
- $115,000 placed on Kansas City at +150 odds to win Super Bowl. The wager was placed on Jan. 1, 2021, at the William Hill Sports Book at The Cosmopolitan Las Vegas. If the Chiefs win, the wager nets $172,500.
- $7,500 placed on Tampa Bay at 15/1 odds to win Super Bowl. The wager was placed on June 6, 2020, at a William Hill Sports Book in Southern Nevada. If the Buccaneers win, the wager nets $112,500.
Super Bowl LV big bets at BetMGM:
- $2.3 million to win $2 million on Buccaneers +3.5
- $345K to win $300K Buccaneers +3 1/2 -115
- $205K to win $186,363.65 Chiefs/Bucs under 56 1/2
- $180K to win $100K on Chiefs -180 moneyline
- $115K to win $100K on Chiefs -3.5 (-115)
- $110K to win $100K on Chiefs -3.5 (-110)
Super Bowl LV big bets at Barstool:
- $150,000 on the Buccaneers (+3.5) for a potential payout of $288k.
Super Bowl LV big bets at DraftKings:
- $200,000 on the Chiefs (-3.5). If they cover, the bet pays out $372,000.
Super Bowl LV big bets at FanDuel:
- $50K on Tampa Bay Buccaneers moneyline at +146 for a total payout of $123,000.
- $44,738 on Kansas City Chiefs moneyline at -166 for a total payout of $71,580.
- One NJ retail customer placed the following wagers: $500 on Exact Score: Bucs 34 – Chiefs 17 at +13000 for a total payout of $65,500. $500 on Exact Score: Chiefs 34 – Bucs 17 at +17000 for a total payout of $85,200.
Super Bowl LV big bets at at William Hill:
- An Illinois bettor placed $120,000 on Chiefs -3 (-120) for a total potential payout of $220,000.
- One New Jersey bettor bet $3,000 on Mahomes throwing for zero touchdowns at 15/1 for a total potential payout of $48,000.
- One William Hill New Jersey bettor is wild for Chiefs wide receiver Sammy Watkins. They placed a $6,666 wager on Watkins 15/1 for first Chiefs touchdown ($106,656 total payout), a $4,000 wager on Watkins 25/1 first touchdown of the game ($104,000 total payout) and a $1,000 wager on Watkins 200/1 Super Bowl 55 MVP ($201,000 total payout).
- A Nevada bettor placed $22,000 on Chiefs vs. Buccaneers under 57 (-110) for a total potential payout of $42,000.
Feb: 5: Majority of FanDuel bettors backing Buccaneers
At FanDuel, the point spread for Super Bowl LV has been steady at Chiefs -3. The total points moved from 56.5 to 55.5. Tyreek Hill receiving yards player prop is up to 94.5 (opened at 86.5).
The Top 3 prop selections for Same Game Parlays at the FanDuel Sportsbook are:
- Brady Passing Over 296.5
- Travis Kelce Over 98.5 Receiving Yards
- Patrick Mahomes Over 329.5 passing yards.
The majority of FanDuel bettors in Pennsylvania and across the twelve states the FanDuel app is available are betting on Tampa Bay to win Super Bowl LV
54% of all ML bets are on the Bucs
46% of all ML bets are on the Chiefs
Here is a map that shows which team each state is backing in the the Money Line market.
Feb. 5: Buccaneers a big liability at BetMGM
Jason Scott, VP of Trading at BetMGM commented on when the Super Bowl LV bets start coming in:
“Super Bowl odds have been up for nearly two weeks but 90 percent of all bets on the big game will be placed this weekend. That being said, BetMGM currently needs the Chiefs to cover as we have moved the Buccaneers from +3.5 to +3.”
Super Bowl LV betting splits from BetMGM as of Feb. 5:
- 52% of the money is on the Buccaneers (+3)
- 62% of the money is on the over (56.5)
A rep said BetMGM has twice as much liability on the Buccaneers than the Chiefs.
Feb 5: Bet count and handle differ for Super Bowl MVP at William Hill
Super Bowl LV total opened at 57 at William Hill and is now 56. If Chiefs vs. Buccaneers were to close at 56, it would be tied for the highest 2021 NFL postseason total. The Browns vs. Chiefs AFC Divisional Round matchup also ended up at 56.
As of Friday, 65% of the money is on the OVER.
The largest Super Bowl 55 total wager taken thus far at William Hill, however, is on the under. A Nevada bettor placed $22,000 on Chiefs vs. Buccaneers under 57 (-110) for a total potential payout of $42,000.
Since 2000, a quarterback has been awarded Super Bowl MVP thirteen times. Brady claimed the award four times and Mahomes won last year. It’s no surprise Mahomes (-120) and Brady (+200) are the favorites to take home the hardware for Super Bowl LV.
Both Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce originally were at +900, and each has seen his odds shift to +800.
Super Bowl MVP by bet count at William Hill
- Brady: 10%
Super MVP by handle at William Hill
Feb: 5: BetMGM projecting 8-figure handle for Super Bowl LV
“We’re projecting to have eight-figures in handle on the Super Bowl this year. With more than 1,000 props being available on BetMGM for this year’s game, we’re seeing a lot of that action being driven by prop bets,” commented Darren Darby, Sports Trader at BetMGM.
Most popular prop bets at BetMGM:
Feb. 4: “Mattress Mack” Makes Mega Super Bowl LV Wager
It’s the return of the Mack. Jim “Mattress Mack” McIngvale has wagered $3.46 million via DraftKings on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at +3.5.
The Houston furniture store owner is known for his king size wagers. In 2019, he had $11 million in various bets on the World Series (including a $3.5 million futures bet on the Houston Astros).
Legal sports betting is not available in Texas so McIngvale flew into Colorado and made the multi-million dollar bet at the Colorado Springs Airport on his mobile device.
Here’s what “Mattress Mack” said about his big bet:
“Tampa Bay is loaded with talent on both sides of the ball and led by the greatest football player of all time in Tom Brady, so I’m betting big on the Bucs who have overcome tough matchups throughout this postseason. The NFL has only seen eight instances of back-to-back champions and none in the past 16 years, so I like my chances going into Super Bowl LV for this trend to continue. DraftKings has been amazing; providing a safe, legal and fantastic customer experience.”
Johnny Avello, Director of Race and Bookmaking Operations at DraftKings on accepting the wager:
“Mack has been a great customer and is someone we have history with after taking his sizeable wager on the Astros to win the World Series a couple seasons ago. For Super Bowl LV, Mack is handicapping the game out of pure belief that the Buccaneers can either win or at least cover the spread. We are not strangers to taking significant action, particularly on one of the biggest sports events in the country. Looking at the way we have booked the Super Bowl so far, bettors are laying -3 on the Chiefs and taking the Buccaneers at +3.5 as fans try to get the best possible line.”
Feb. 4: Cross-game prop betting
“Cross-game props are a fun option for bettors that love wagering on additional sports like basketball, hockey and soccer,” said Darren Darby, Sports Trader at BetMG. “BetMGM has been offering cross-game props tied to other sporting events since Monday. Additional props are added each day to give our customers a chance to sweat early Super Bowl action.”
Here are some Super Bowl LV cross-game betting splits from BetMGM:
Feb. 3: Tyreek Hill receiving prop a popular play at FanDuel
A rep from FanDuel said a prop bet getting a lot of attention is Chiefs WR Tyreek Hill’s Receiving Yards. The O/U opened at 86.5 and was bet up to 92.5. Nearly all bets (99.5% of the handle) have been on the over.
The coin toss is always a popular play. Last year, FanDuel paid out more than $200,000 when the coin toss came up tails. The biggest coin toss wagers so far at FanDuel are:
- $5,000 on Heads (-103)
- $2,000 on Tails (-103)
Super Bowl LV betting splits from FanDuel as of Feb. 3:
- 84% of the money is on the Chiefs (-3)
- 54% of the money is on the Chiefs moneyline (-174)
- 69% of the money is on the over (56.5)
Position of MVP winner betting splits % of handle:
- 37%: Defensive player (+850)
- 34%: WR (+650)
- 16%: TE (+1000)
Super Bowl MVP:
- 20%: Mahomes (-105)
- 14%: Brady (+200)
- 10%: Hill (+1400)
- 9.9%: Kelce (+1500)
Other notable betting splits from FanDuel:
- Any QB to throw 6+ TDs: 88% of the money is on Yes (+1000)
- First half spread: 89% of the money of is on the Buccaneers (+2.5)
- Team to achieve First 1st Down of the game: 88% of the money is on the Buccaneers
- Mahomes Passing TD: 94% of the money is on OVER 2.5
- Brady Passing TD: 97% of the money is on the OVER 2.5
- Edwards-Helaire rushing yards: 90% of the money is on the OVER 28.5 (-115)
- Kelce receiving yards: 91% of the money is on the OVER 98.5 (-110)
- Godwin receiving yards: 92% of the money is on the OVER 73.5 (-110)
Feb. 3: Betting on another “super” comeback for the Chiefs
During last year’s Super Bowl, the Chiefs trailed the the San Francisco 49ers by ten points with nine minutes left. The Chiefs closed out the game with 21 points to win Super Bowl LIV 31-20.
Patrick Mahomes has four career playoff starts in which his team trailed by 9+ points and ended up winning by 9+ points. No other quarterback in NFL history has more than one comeback win of over 9 points in their playoff career.
Bettors are leaning toward the Chiefs and Mahomes to trail and comeback yet again.
Darren Darby, Sports Trader at BetMGM said:
“The Chiefs have a habit of starting slow in playoff games but Patrick Mahomes has been able to lead them to victory in the end. Bettors are largely wagering on Kansas City +600 to trail by two scores at any point in the game but to also win by two scores against Tampa.”
Will the Chiefs trail by 9+ points at in point in the game, but win by 9+ points?
- Yes +600
There is no option to bet against this prop happening at BetMGM.
The “Chiefs to trail by 9+ points at any point in the game, but win by 9+ points” prop is in the top 20 of the most popular prop bets for Super Bowl LV.
Feb. 2: Betting on the Gatorade shower
Sorry, Pennsylvanians. Betting on the color of Gatorade poured on the winning coach is not permitted in PA.
Why? It goes back to the Pennsylvania Gaming Act that says wagering must be on sporting events or the individual stats of athletes.
A good rule of thumb in PA is if it takes place on the field of play and is directly related to the outcome of the game, you can bet on it. Which explains why you can’t bet on the National Anthem length and Gatorade shower color but can bet on the coin toss.
If you want to wager on the shade of Gatorade, you’ll have to head to head to nearby New Jersey.
When the Chiefs won the Super Bowl last year they dumped orange Gatorade on Andy Reid. Here are the opening odds for the “Gatorade color dumped on a the winning coach” market.
Opening odds for Gatorade color at BetMGM:
- Orange +140
- Red/Pink +300
- Yellow/Green/Lime +500
- Clear/Grey/White +650
- Blue +800
- Purple/Violet/Indigo +800
Darren Darby, Sports Trader at BetMGM said:
“Casual fans might think the action on the Super Bowl ends when the game is over but many bettors will be sweating the color of the Gatorade dumped on the winning coach. Orange is the betting favorite and has received 30% of the handle.”
Gatorade color betting handle % at BetMGM:
- 30%: Orange
- 18.%: Red/pink
- 16%: Yellow/green/lime
- 15%: Blue
- 11%: Clear/grey/white
- 7%: Purple/violet/indigo
Feb 1: DraftKings betting splits
Feb. 1: BetMGM needs Brady and the Bucs to cover
The Chiefs opened +650 to win Super Bowl LV and are now -175. The Buccaneers opened at +1600 and are currently +150.
On Monday morning, a BetMGM rep said the sportsbook has twice as much liability on Buccaneers than the Chiefs.
Jason Scott, VP of Trading at BetMGM said:
“The public loves Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs but sharp bettors have not wagered on either team. The book is currently balanced but come Sunday BetMGM will likely need Tom Brady and the Buccaneers to cover. Of course that could change as more big bets are placed leading up to kickoff.”
Betting splits from BetMGM as of Feb. 1:
- 51% of the money is on the Buccaneers (+3.5)
- 71% of the money is on the over (56.5)
Feb. 1: BetRivers sees some early betting shifts
At BetRivers, the the Buccaneers (+143 ML) were backed by 61% of the early money. However, since last Tuesday, the public has leaned toward the Chiefs (-162) who now have 57% of the ML handle.
76% of the spread handle at BetRivers is on the Chiefs (-3) to cover. However, it’s down from 85% a week ago.
The largest current Super Bowl LV wager at BetRivers is a $25,000 bet on Buccaneers +148 ML that will pay out $62,000 if the Buccaneers win.. The largest current prop bet is a $3,000 on Antonio Brown to score the first TD (+1800) that would pay out $57,000.
Jan. 29: FanDuel Super Bowl LV betting splits and some interesting props
FanDuel has a new customer offer ahead of Super Bowl LV. New users get 55-1 odds on either the Chiefs or the Buccaneers. Bet $5 to win $275.
A rep from FanDuel said they expect same-game parlays to be the biggest ever for the Super Bowl.
Betting splits from FanDuel Sportsbook:
- 83% of the money is on the Chiefs (-3)
- 56% of the money is on the Chiefs moneyline (-174)
- 79% of the money is on the over (56.5)
FanDuel has a lot of ways to bet on the Super Bowl, including player props and parlays. A few of the interesting ones we saw on the app were:
- Six+ TDs from either QB
Dave Weaver Super Bowl Prop: Any QB to throw for six+ TDs
Yes (+1000)/No (-3000)
- QB to be sacked first
- Team to score first wins game/team to score last wins game
- First offensive play of the game
Pass (-125)/Rush (+100)
- Will there be a successful fourth-down conversion in the game?
Yes (-430)/No (+300)
Jan. 29: $2.3 million bet placed on Buccaneers
Jason Scott, vice president of trading at BetMGM, said:
“This was a bet we were very happy to receive. BetMGM had previously written several six figure bets all on the Chiefs and the public is certainly behind Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes. This big Buccaneers bet has helped balance our book.”
Jan. 29: How player props are created
Since William Hill’s inception in 2012, Adam Pullen, assistant director of trading, and Nick Bogdanovich, director of trading, have been the two-man team behind thousands of Super Bowl props at William Hill.
The pair have of decades of experience; however, there are still some tricky player prop markets to create.
“It was difficult to make the running back props this year. Darrel Williams has emerged; [Clyde] Edwards-Helaire will be healthy. Those two were really hard to make. [Leonard] Fournette has looked great in the playoffs, but [Ronald] Jones will be healthier as well. Jones was the man before he got hurt. The stars will be straightforward for making the props; it’s the fringe players where it got tricky.
“The health of [Antonio] Brown is going to determine the amount of touches that [Scotty Miller and Tyler Johnson] get. We know [Mike] Evans and [Chris] Godwin will get theirs, but the Brown situation definitely impacts everyone else, for sure. The Bucs have a bunch of tight ends, too. We had to figure it out for [Rob] Gronkowski and [Cameron] Brate too. I think the Bucs will have to stay aggressive to keep up with Kansas City, so I think you’ll see Brady throwing a lot.”
“We just look at the stats, and we bounce them off each other. He’d [Mike Evans] say, ‘I like 65 [receiving yards],’ and I’ll say that I like 68. Then we put up 67 or 67.5. That’s how it is a lot. We discuss certain things, like knowing that we’re going to get so much public money on the over, so how much do we want to shade to the public? Because as much as you respect the pros, the public money is huge. We’re going to have decisions like we’ve never seen before.”
Jan. 28: Mahomes and Brady lead Super Bowl MVP betting
Bettors are backing a repeat MVP performance by Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes. He has 49% of the Super Bowl LV MVP handle at BetMGM and is the even-money favorite. Bucs quarterback Tom Brady has 15% of the handle. He is the only player to win Super MVP four times.
Mahomes claimed the prize last year. Terry Bradshaw is the last player to win back-to-back Super Bowl MVPs (1979, 1980).
Super Bowl MVP news from BetMGM
- There is 3X as much money on Mahomes as Brady to win Super Bowl MVP.
- There are 57 players with odds to win Super Bowl MVP.
- Buccaneers tight end Cameron Brate is the only player with no bets.
- Patrick Mahomes opened +130, now +100
- Tom Brady opened +240, now +200
- Travis Kelce opened +800, now +1000
- Tyreek Hill opened +800, now +900
Jan. 27: Super Bowl coin toss betting in Pennsylvania
Yes, you can bet on the coin toss at Super Bowl LV. However, the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board’s rules about types of wagering and prop bets do not allow betting on things like the Gatorade color or length of the National Anthem. (For more information, check out our complete guide to Super Bowl prop bets in PA).
You can still bet on heads, tails and more around the coin toss at PA online sportsbooks.
Darren Darby, sports trader at BetMGM, said:
“The coin toss is a very popular Super Bowl prop bet. Customers love early action, and the coin toss gives them a chance to win before the game even starts. Tails is often the most popular side of this prop. As the old saying goes, ‘Tails never fails.’”
Jan. 27: Super Bowl LV betting splits from DraftKings
Super Bowl LV betting splits from DraftKings:
- 81% of the money is on the Chiefs (-3.5).
- 77% of the money is on the over (56.5).
- 55% of the money is on the Chiefs (-162) moneyline.
Super Bowl LV MVP betting splits by handle:
- 48%: Mahomes (+100)
- 25%: Brady (+200)
- 8%: Hill (+1200)
- 7%: Kelce (+1300)
NFL MVP betting splits by handle:
- 32%: Rodgers (-2000)
- 12%: Mahomes (+1600)
- 9%: R. Wilson (+5000)
- 8%: K. Murray (OTB)
- 6%: Brady (+25000)
Jan. 26: DraftKings Early Bird Big Game Profit Boost for Super Bowl LV
DraftKings posted an Early Bird Big Game Profit Boost that gives a 55% boost on any Super Bowl LV bet.
In a wide-ranging interview with PlayPennsylvania, DraftKings director of sportsbook operations Johnny Avello said the online app has added new player props for the Super Bowl and will continue to do so.
Since Brady signed with the Bucs in the offseason, the Buccaneers are the most-bet team at DraftKings to win the Super Bowl. They are DraftKings’ biggest Super Bowl liability.
Its second-biggest liability is the Kanas City Chiefs.
Jan. 26: FanDuel Super Bowl LV early betting splits
- 85% of the money is on the Chiefs (-3).
- 58% of the money is on the Chiefs moneyline (-174).
- 79% of the money is on the over (56.5).
Jan. 25: Buccaneers and Chiefs biggest SB liabilities at BetMGM
Prior to the start of Championship Sunday, at BetMGM, the Chiefs (34%) and the Buccaneers (11%) both had the highest handle for Super Bowl winner futures.
According to a BetMGM rep, the book’s biggest Super Bowl liabilities are the Bucs and the Chiefs.
Super Bowl LV betting markets in PA
PA online sportsbooks offer bettors many ways to wager on Super Bowl LV action in addition to point spread and total points, such as:
- Player props
- Team props
- Game props
- Winning margin
- First scoring play
A full list is available on the app.
Super Bowl MVP
- Patrick Mahomes: +105
- Tom Brady: +225
- Tyreek Hill: +1200
- Travis Kelce: +1300
- Leonard Fournette: +2500
A full list is available on the app.
Other Super Bowl MVP markets
- MVP from losing team (yes) +500
- Position of MVP
- Coin toss
- Trick play specials
- Team to win coin toss and game
- Fat man TD
- Player to correctly call coin toss
Super Bowl LV odds at PA sportsbooks
Lead image credit: AP Photo/Doug Murray