The NBA suspended its season due to the emerging threat of coronavirus on March 12. As things slowly being to bounce back, the NBA always kept hope alive that the season would continue albeit sitting through a historically long time-out.
Finally, the plan to move forward is being set into motion. On June 4, the NBA’s board of governors approved the league proposal on a 22-team format to restart the season.
What does the return to play mean for the Philadelphia 76ers? They entered the season’s pause 39-26, 6th in the Eastern Conference. With Ben Simmons sidelined with a back injury, the 76ers lost three of their last five games. All signs point to Simmons returning to the lineup after the prolonged break.
Even though training camp for the NBA is about a month away, Pennsylvania online sportsbooks were quick to react to the news of the NBA’s return with updated lines, boosts and promos.
NBA return to play plan
According to the NBA, the 76ers will begin training at the Disney campus in Orlando around July 7. Twenty-two of 30 teams are returning to play based on their records – nine Eastern Conference teams and 13 conference teams.
When NBA games resume (tentative start date July 31), here’s how it will unfold at the ESPN Wide World Of Sports complex:
- An eight-game slate of games
- Possible play-in game for the eight seed in each conference
- 16-team playoff
The NBA Draft Lottery is tentatively scheduled for Oct. 15 and Game 7 of the NBA Finals (if necessary) would be on Oct. 12.
Current Eastern Conference and NBA title odds
Most PA sportsbooks set the 76ers odds to win the Eastern Conference at +900.
76ers NBA title odds at other PA online sportsbooks:
- DraftKings: +3000
- Unibet: +3000
- PlaySugarHouse/BetRivers: +3000
- Caesars: +2500
- FOX Bet: +2500
NBA Bet Boosts and Promos for NBA Playoffs
- Philadelphia 76ers to win the Eastern Conference boosted from +900 to +1,400 (max bet $50)
- Philadelphia 76ers to win the Eastern Conference boosted from +850 to +900
- Philadelphia 76ers to win the NBA Finals boosted from +2500 to +3000
A look back at the 76ers odds
The 76ers started the season with high hopes that this would be the year that Simmons and center Joel Embiid would lead the team deep into the playoffs and perhaps make their first NBA Championship appearance. After last season’s second-round exit, many believed it was a make-or-break season for head coach Brett Brown.
A look back at 76ers preseason odds at DraftKings Sportbook:
- NBA Championship: +900
- Eastern Conference Winner: +250
- Division Winner: +120
- Regular-Season Wins: Over/under 56.5
- Regular-Season MVP: Joel Embiid +3300, Ben Simmons +15,000
- Rookie of the Year: Matisse Thybulle +10,000
- Defensive Player of the Year: Joel Embiid +600, Ben Simmons +2,500, Matisse Thybulle +15,000
76ers odds at the All-Star break in mid-February:
NBA Championship: +1400
Division Winner: +800
Conference Championship winner: +600