You can save the oversized hats and mint juleps for the Kentucky Derby on Saturday, May 2. However, now is the time to place some early wagers on the Kentucky Derby and the Kentucky Oaks, open for a limited time only from March 6 at noon until March 8 at 6 p.m. (until 6:30 p.m. for the Oaks).
The Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool 3 has been released with odds by Mike Battaglia from Churchill Downs.
So far, the individual favorite is Tiz the Law. The field, or “All other 3-year-olds” has the best odds on the board and was the preference of bettors in previous pools.
What are Kentucky Derby Future Wagers?
Well before you muddle the mint for those juleps, you can place a wager on the Kentucky Derby.
Kentucky Derby Future Wagers offer the opportunity to place bets on possible horses who will race in the 2020 Kentucky Derby at odds that could be much greater than the odds on the day of the race. The potential payout could be larger due to various factors such as:
- Not all horses listed in Future Pools will be in the final field of horses at the Kentucky Derby.
- There are various factors, such as illness and injury, that can derail a horse between now and May 2.
- How the horses fare in the upcoming Kentucky Derby prep races like the Florida Derby, Wood Memorial, and Santa Anita Derby.
There are four periods before the race that are open for future pool betting:
- Kentucky Derby Future Future Wager Pool 1: Nov 28 – Dec 1 (closed)
- Kentucky Derby Future Future Wager Pool 2: Feb. 7 – 9 (closed)
- Kentucky Derby Future Future Wager Pool 3: March 6 – 8
- Kentucky Derby Future Future Wager Pool 4: April 3 – 5
2020 Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool 3 odds
Here’s a look at the current odds (at the opening of the future wagers) on Friday, March 6.
|19||Storm the Court||30/1|
|22||Tiz the Law||8/1|
|24||All Other 3-Year-Olds||9/2|
2020 Kentucky Oaks Future Wager Pool odds
The following are current odds for the Kentucky Oaks future pool. The Kentucky Oaks race is run the day before the Kentucky Derby, Friday, May 1.
|9||Harvey's Lil Goil||30/1|
|18||Spice Is Nice||15/1|
|24||All Other 3-Year-Olds Fillies||6/1|
Betting favors the field in Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool 2
At the conclusion of the Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool 2 on Feb. 9, the field of “all other three-year-olds” was the 2-1 favorite with $116,892 in total wagers. A bet on “all others” will pay if any horse other than the ones individually named in a pool wins the Kentucky Derby.
The individual favorites after Pool 2 were Nadal ($38,062) and Holy Bull winner Tiz the Law ($36,781).
Nadal won the San Vicente Stakes on Feb. 9. The Bob Baffert-trained Nadal’s next race in preparation for the Kentucky Derby will be the Rebel Stakes at Oaklawn Park in Arkansas on March 14.
Tiz the Law is scheduled to race again at the Florida Derby on March 28.
Other horses that attracted bettors’ bucks in Pool 2 were:
- Dennis’ Moment
- Thousand Words
- Independence Hall
How to place Kentucky Derby future wagers in PA
$2 win and exacta bets are the options for the Kentucky Derby future wagers. Exacta bets involve picking the top two finishers in the race, in the correct order.
In Pennsylvania, you can place your Kentucky Derby, Kentucky Oaks and all horse racing bets at TVG. TVG is a digital, cable and television network owned by the FanDuel Group. You can place your wagers online or via TVG’s betting app in Pennsylvania, PABets.
To get started at TVG:
- Create an account: Provide your name, address, email, phone number, date of birth, last four digits of your social security number and create a user name and password for your account.
- Deposit funds and get free money: When you use the links on this page, you can take advantage of free money bonuses. Deposit options at TVG include credit or debit card, ACH (e-check), PayPal, PayNearMe, MoneyPak, TeleCheck or TVG prepaid card. Withdrawing funds is similar to deposit.