A movie makeover is a common theme in romantic comedies. Before the ugly duckling gets its happy ending it must first have a makeover montage with a shopping spree, visit to the salon, then the big reveal of the sleek, new swan.
At the site of a former Sears at the York Galleria Mall, the finishing touches are being applied to Hollywood Casino York showing that makeovers aren’t just for the big screen. The $120 million mini-casino opens to the public at noon on August 12.
Erin Chamberlin, senior vice president of regional operations at Penn National Gaming said:
“We are really proud of this project and it has been very creatively done. Taking a space that has had no life for quite some time and putting such a significant investment in this community and making it a destination has been exciting.”
Hollywood Casino York details
- Address: Galleria Mall in Springettsbury Township at 2899 Whiteford Road
- Phone: 717. 469.2211
- Hours: 24/7 pending regulatory approval
- 80,000 sq. ft total. The gaming floor is 38,000 sq. ft.
- 510 slot machines
- 24 table games such as Blackjack, roulette, craps, and baccarat.
- 2 electronic table games
- Barstool Sportsbook
- Progressive linked three-card poker table game. It’s linked with Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course, Hollywood York and Hollywood Casino Morgantown (when it opens)
- mychoice card activation center
- 700 parking spaces
- Two restaurants. Diner & Drinks, a casual restaurant and bar (fyi – it serves breakfast all day). Classic Grill, a 24.7 grab-and-go spot.
Contactless payment at Penn National Casinos
Yes, you can use cash at Hollywood Casino York.
The casino is also offering another method to pay and play. The mini casino has big plans for their “3Cs experience” (cardless, cashless and contactless) where guests can download and withdraw money. It’s already live at two other Penn National casinos in Pennsylvania, Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course and The Meadows. Hollywood Casino York and under-construction Hollywood Casino in Morgantown will also offer it.
How to go cashless at Hollywood Casino York:
- Download the “ultimate wallet” to your mychoice account. This will also serve as your player’s card.
- Ultimate wallet can be funded with debit/credit card, bank ACH-mobile, at cage or from a kiosk.
- Bluetooth to the machine to download money in credits. If you forget to cashout, the machine puts money back into your account.
- Can be used as table games where the dealer uses an iPad.
FAQs about Hollywood Casino York
Is there alcohol service?
- Yes. Per PA law, alcoholic beverages can be served 19 hours a day.
Does Hollywood Casino York allow smoking?
- Yes. There is a small smoking section in the back of the casino that represents about 16% of the gaming floor.
Does Hollywood Casino York have a poker room?
What are the table minimums?
- Similar to Hollywood Casino in Grantville. $10 minimum up to $500,$1000, or higher for max bets.
Rewards program at Hollywood Casino York
Hollywood Casino York will feature mychoice rewards, which connect 35 locations nationally. Members can earn benefits on-property and online.
mychoice rewards offers:
- Free slot play
- Discounts for dining and accommodations
- Bonus entries into promotions
- Exclusive invitations to events
- Upper-tier rewards include cruises, tropical vacations,.
Barstool Sportsbook at Hollywood Casino York
Penn acquired a 36% stake in Barstool in Jan. 2020. Barstool Sportsbook PA launched in Sept. 2020. Barstool Casino PA arrived in late April 2021.
Hollywood Casino York is home to the first retail Barstool Sportsbook on the East Coast. Sports betting is available at kiosks, the teller window, or on the Barstool Sportsbook app while sitting in the lounge. Also, racebook kiosks for off-track-wagering are located in the Barstool Sportsbook.
“Stoolies” should feel right at home with familiar Barstool phrases like “life life too short to bet the under” displayed at the teller window and “lots of game left” splayed under the 9-foot tall and 32-foot wide video wall.
In addition to Barstool branded touches, the walls of the sportsbook are made with reclaimed basketball courts. The floor is styled like a football field.
“When we announced Barstool in Jan. 2020 as a key partner it gave us the opportunity to think about how we would design a sportsbook now that we have one of the preeminent sports brands,” said Chamberlin. “This is a very different sportsbook from anything in the Commonwealth that I’ve seen. The feeling is very approachable and fun. If you are a sports bettor, you are going to love it. It’s also going to be a great place for people to enjoy the game and the camaraderie that goes with watching the game.”
Penn protecting Pennsylvania turf
Mini-casinos were a part of the Pennsylvania 2017 gambling expansion legislation. In Jan. 2018, Penn National bid a whopping $50.1 million for the right to build a mini-casino.
Reps from Penn National refer to Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course as the “mothership” in terms of their PA casinos. Making major moves with mini-casinos like Hollywood Casino York and Hollywood Casino Morgantown show that Penn National Gaming is serious about protecting their market share in Pennsylvania.
It’s not just a defensive move.
Chamberlin pointed out the proximity to Maryland in bringing in players from out-of-state.
PGCB Director of Communication Doug Harbach commented:
“Companies like Penn National have been very good community partners. They have alleviated that idea that casinos were going to create more problems than success. They are highly regulated and casinos in Pennsylvania operate in a safe and fair manner.”
Aggressive hiring efforts
At the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board meeting in June, Ruben Warren, General Manager of Hollywood Casino York, mentioned difficulty finding employees. Many businesses, including PA casinos, are having trouble hiring enough employees.
Thanks to an aggressive recruiting effort which included a hiring center at the York Galleria, free dealer school, seven hiring events, a $1,500 sign-on bonus, and a drawing for a Harley Davidson, they exceeded their initial projections for 200 employees and currently have 290.
“We wanted to make sure we hired local and approached it very aggressively,” said Warren. “We knew we had to go out into the community to talk about our product and what it’s like working here.”
Hollywood Casino York possible expansion?
Hollywood Casino York is possibly already eyeing expansion. PlayPennsylvania reported in June that PNG talked about leasing the empty second-floor space. The casino has an entryway with an escalator which leads to the casino on the ground floor.
Lead photo and all photos by Katie Kohler.