With the popularity and continuing growth of casual gambling in the US, there’s no such thing as too many responsible gambling campaigns.
In the realm of sports betting, the NFL season is the time of year that sees the most betting volume. As such, BetMGM and MGM Resorts are promoting their GameSense responsible gambling program at NFL stadiums this year, including the Steelers’ Acrisure Stadium.
Nine NFL stadiums featuring GameSense messaging from BetMGM
The launch of MGM’s in-stadium promotion coincides with Responsible Gaming Education Month, in collaboration with the American Gaming Association (AGA).
A total of nine NFL stadiums will host the GameSense promotions. MGM Resorts and BetMGM are the first gaming operators to promote responsible gambling within NFL stadiums.
In a press release, BetMGM Chief Compliance Officer, Rhea Loney, said:
“This is an extraordinary moment as we work with our team partners to raise awareness about responsible gaming. Throughout the season, GameSense will play a pivotal role in reminding football fans who bet, to do so responsibly.”
Overall, BetMGM and MGM Resorts will sponsor GameSense promos at these stadiums:
- Acrisure Stadium (Pittsburgh Steelers)
- Allegiant Stadium (Las Vegas Raiders)
- Empower Field at Mile High (Denver Broncos)
- Ford Field (Detroit Lions)
- GHEA Field at Arrowhead Stadium (Kansas City Chiefs)
- M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore Ravens)
- MetLife Stadium (New York Jets and Giants)
- Nissan Stadium (Tennessee Titans)
- State Farm Stadium (Arizona Cardinals)
The companies have also committed to give more than $1 million annually toward problem gambling and responsible gaming initiatives, including research, prevention and advocacy.
Stephen Martino, the SVP Chief Compliance Officer of MGM Resorts, said:
“The landscape of the gaming industry has evolved dramatically in recent years with the broad legalization of online gambling and sports betting. Collaboration among operators and stakeholders is essential to ensure that responsible gaming remains a top priority. These efforts are vital to giving guests, customers, employees, and companies the tools and information needed for a safe and enjoyable experience.”
How does GameSense help with responsible gambling?
GameSense is a collection of educational materials about casino games and other types of gambling, along with problem gambling resources, to help patrons keep their gambling habits in check. The program was first developed and licensed to MGM by the British Columbia Lottery Corporation (BCLC) in 2017.
The GameSense website explains its stance nicely: “GameSense keeps gambling fun with tips and information for casino guests.”
MGM Resorts delivers GameSense messaging in hotel rooms and casinos.
The website offers straightforward education on topics like how games work, gambling myths, odds, randomness and skill-based vs. chance-based games. The philosophy is that the more you know as a gambler, the better decisions you’re likely to make.
Additionally, the GameSense site discusses different approaches players take to gambling and provides tools and information on setting limits for your play. It goes even further with details on how to identify problem gambling behaviors, including a self-assessment questionnaire.
Responsible gambling resources in Pennsylvania
PA offers a robust collection of resources and programs for those experiencing problem gambling issues:
- National Council on Problem Gambling – The NCPG provides education, support and resources by state, for those struggling with problem gambling issues.
- Council on Compulsive Gambling of Pennsylvania – PA’s affiliate of the national organization, this site offers information, resources and support for individuals and families affected by problem gambling. Helpline: 1-800-848-1880
- Gamblers Anonymous – Like the better known Alcoholics Anonymous, GA is a support group and fellowship of people coming together to solve their common problem and help each other.
- Gam-Anon – A support group designed for the family and friends of compulsive gamblers, offering support and coping strategies.
- PGCB Self-Exclusion Program – Growing in popularity, this program managed by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board allows individuals to voluntarily exclude themselves from all gambling activities and establishments in the state.
- Responsible Play Pennsylvania – This website promotes responsible gaming behaviors and offers resources and information on getting help and self-exclusion.
- 1-800-GAMBLER – A 24-hour nationwide helpline that provides immediate support, resources and counseling referrals for those needing assistance combating gambling-related problems.