When the Philadelphia Eagles were up 14-3 against the Dallas Cowboys, it looked like they would enter the final week of the season battling for a playoff spot. Then they were outscored 34-3 the rest of the way as the Cowboys romped to a 37-17 win.
In the span of a few hours, the Eagles were eliminated from playoff contention, in last place of the dreadful NFC East and facing an offseason of major decisions.
Philadelphia hosts Washington in Week 17. Washington controls their playoff destiny and can clinch the NFC East title with a win. They are also facing their share of controversy. With quarterback Alex Smith sidelined, Dwayne Haskins got the start against the Carolina Panthers and was benched after two interceptions. On Monday, Washington released Haskins.
Pennsylvania online sportsbooks opened with the Eagles as one-point underdogs, with the total points line at 42.5. However, by Sunday, with the Eagles ruling a number of starters out and Smith possibly starting for Washington, the line took a big swing. By Sunday afternoon, Washington was listed as 5.5-point favorites, with the total points line at 42.5.
Washington vs. Eagles Week 17 betting splits
Betting splits from FanDuel as of Sunday morning:
- 67% of the money is on Washington (-5.5) to cover the spread
- 57% of the money is on Washington (-275) moneyline
- 61% of the money is on the over (43.5)
At William Hill:
- 85% of the money is on Washington (-6) to cover the spread
- 62% of the money is on the over (43.5)
Washington vs. Philadelphia Eagles Week 17 odds
Here are the Week 17 odds at DraftKings Sportsbook as of Tuesday morning, followed by the latest Eagles game odds.
|Washington Football Team||-1.5 (-108)||-125||O 42.5 (-113)|
|Philadelphia Eagles||+1.5 (-113)||+102||U 42.5 (-108)|
[metabet_core_game_tile query=”nfl/eagles” size=100%x100% site_id=”playpennsylvania”]
Washington vs. Philadelphia Eagles Week 17 betting preview
The Eagles’ secondary was torched again as Andy Dalton threw for 377 yards and three TDs. The Cowboys exposed the Birds’ fatal flaws — a depleted secondary, lack of offensive weapons and questionable play-calling. There were self-inflicted wounds, too. The Eagles also committed 12 penalties for 115 yards, including six false starts.
The Birds were up 14-3, but when defensive lineman Fletcher Cox left the game with a stinger, the Cowboys capitalized. They put up 503 total yards of offense, picking apart Philadelphia’s secondary, especially Michael Jacquet. The Eagles’ defense has given up 1,039 yards in their last two games.
Making his third start, rookie quarterback Jalen Hurts came back to earth after sparking a stalled offense. He had two interceptions and two fumbles (one lost). The Eagles have a long list of issues to resolve in the offseason, including:
- Who starts at quarterback in 2021? Wentz or Hurts?
- Will Howie Roseman be fired? Ditto for Doug Pederson.
- The Eagles have an awful salary cap situation for 2021. How much can they improve an aging offensive line and a suspect secondary in the offseason?
- What will the Eagles do with their first draft pick? Currently, they hold the sixth pick.
- What happened in three years? The team won the Super Bowl in 2017.
Washington’s list of issues also long
Washington is facing their own issues. Dwayne Haskins was photographed maskless at his girlfriend’s birthday party with strippers on Dec. 20 after Washington lost to Seattle. It marked the second time he breached COVID-19 protocols, and Washington fined him $40,000 and stripped him of his captaincy.
Against the Carolina Panthers in Week 16, he started in place of an injured Alex Smith. Haskins threw two interceptions and fumbled once. He was benched in the fourth quarter in favor of Taylor Heinicke. On Monday, Washington waived Haskins, whom they selected with the 15th pick in the 2019 NFL draft.
Washington vs. Philadelphia Eagles betting stats and info from DraftKings
- The Eagles are 5-10 ATS; Washington is 5-9-1 ATS.
- Seven of the Eagles’ 15 games have hit the over; five for Washington.
- The Eagles have a 47% implied win probability.
- Four of Washington’s last five games have gone under.
- Washington allows 21 ppg; the Eagles, 26.5 ppg.
Week 17 promos at PA sportsbook apps
- Risk-free $500 bet for new users.
- New user deposit bonus: Get a 20% bonus, up to $1,000.
- Risk-free $1,000 bet for new users: New users at FanDuel can get up to a $1,000 free bet. Register, make a deposit and place a wager on the FanDuel sportsbook app. Then, if the first wager loses, FanDuel will refund losses in the form of a free bet up to $1,000.
BetRivers Free NFL Profit Boost every week:
- Log in to BetRivers online sportsbook every Sunday for a 50% profit boost (max $50 bet).
- Risk-free $500 bet: Place your first bet, and if it loses, the Fox Bet sportsbook app will match it as a free bet up to $500.
- $1 bet pays $50: New users only. $1 bet pays $50 in free bets if the Eagles (or Steelers) score.
- Beat the Spread Bonus: $1 bonus for every point your team beats the spread by.
- Pigskin Parlay: Instant 50% cash boost when creating an eight-team parlay.
Washington vs. Eagles Week 17 Bet Boosts
- Jalen Hurts to record two+ passing TDs boosted from (+200) to +250
(Max bet $50)
- Terry McLaurin or Jalen Reagor to score the first touchdown boosted from (+600) to +750
- Washington to win by 14+ points boosted from (+240) to +300
- Giants to win and Washington to lose boosted from (+411) to +450
- Jalen Hurts to score the first touchdown of the game boosted from (+1200) to +1300
- Jalen Hurts 250 passing yards and 50 or more rushing yards boosted from (+250) to +300
- Each team two or more TDs and one or more field goals boosted from (-110) to +100
- Jalen Hurts one or more passing TDs and one or more rushing TDs boosted from (+162) to +200
- Miles Sanders to score a TD in the first quarter boosted from (+500) to +600
- Jalen Hurts and Alex Smith two or more passing TDs each boosted from (+500) to +600
- Final score: Eagles 23, Washington 21 boosted from (+8000) to +1000
- Jalen Hurts one+ rushing TD, one+ passing TD (yes) +225
- Cowboys to win, Washington Football Team to lose (yes) +382
- Terry McLaurin 50+ receiving yards, Boston Scott 50+ rushing yards (yes) +215
Complete Week 17 NFL odds at PA sportsbooks
[metabet_core_odds_board site_id=”playpennsylvania” league=”nfl” market=”spread” hide_consensus=”yes”]
Lead image credit: AP Photo/Ron Jenkins