A 30-17 loss to the Green Bay Packers ended the Philadelphia Eagles‘ chances of a winning record. Week 13 wins by the New York Giants and Washington put the Birds a game and a half out of first place in the NFC East. So the Eagles’ hopes for the playoffs are hanging by a piece of tinsel.
The Eagles (3-8-1) have a list of problems longer than Veruca Salt‘s Christmas list. The job security of the general manager and the coach is in question. Quarterback Carson Wentz, sacked a league-leading 50 times, was benched early in the second half in favor of rookie Jalen Hurts with the Eagles trailing 20-3.
On Tuesday afternoon, Pennsylvania sports betting apps have the Eagles as 6.5-point underdogs versus the Saints, with the total points line at 45.5. After Hurts was named the starter, the spread moved the Eagles to 7 point dogs. On Sunday afternoon, PA sportsbooks had the Eagles at 7.5-point underdogs. The total points line dipped to 42.5.
Will Eagles QB change impact lines?
Play Pennsylvania asked DraftKings director of operations Johnny Avello if the quarterback change would impact the lines.
“Jalen Hurts has been announced as the starter for Sunday’s game. The way Wentz has been performing, the difference is only a couple of points, and that’s the result of a lack of experience. Next they may be announcing a new starter for Doug Pederson.”
At William Hill online sportsbook, the Saints are the biggest road favorite, and the spread has moved from -6.5 to -7.
Nick Bogdanovich, director of trading for William Hill US, commented:
“If the Eagles had a healthy offensive line, I’d say Wentz to Hurts is a definite downgrade. But they don’t have a healthy line, and Wentz is running for his life. Jalen can run a little better, so I don’t think it’s a downgrade at this point. We’ll be buried on New Orleans teasers and moneyline parlays. The Saints are gunning for the No. 1 seed, and they haven’t lost since September. The other team is in complete disarray. I wouldn’t be surprised if this line goes up, and I think this game will be our biggest decision this week.”
Carson Wentz has thrown a league-high 15 interceptions. However, some Wentz defenders will blame a few of them on a porous offensive line and receivers who fail to get separation. Another interesting preseason betting market at DraftKings was “Most interceptions thrown.” Wentz’s odds to lead that category were +4000.
Prior to the start of the season, Hurts was +6000 to win Offensive Rookie of the Year. He is no longer listed, and Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert (-450) is the favorite.
Saints majority of money for Week 14
The Eagles have been bad for backers. The latest loss and failure to cover moved them to 4-8 ATS.
Green Bay, Kansas City, and New Orleans have the most lopsided betting percentages as of Sunday morning at FanDuel. Betting splits from FanDuel for Eagles vs. Saints:
- 84% of the money is on the Saints (-7.5) to cover the spread.
- 65% of the money is on the Saints (-360) moneyline.
- 72% of the money is on the under (42.5).
Betting splits from Bet Rivers Sportsbook:
- 92% of the money is on the Saints (-7.5) to cover the spread.
- 95% of the money is on the Saints (-335) ML.
At William Hill, three Week 14 totals have moved by 1.5 points from the opening number:
- Saints at Eagles (45.5 to 44)
- Patriots at Rams (45 to 43.5)
- Chiefs at Dolphins (49 to 50.5)
For the Saints vs. Eagles game, 90% of the total dollars wagered is on the UNDER. 91% of the money is on the Saints (-8) to cover the spread.
New Orleans Saints vs. Philadelphia Eagles odds
Here are the odds at DraftKings Sportsbook, followed by the latest Eagles game odds.
|New Orleans Saints||-7.5 (-103)||-335||O 44.5 (-110)|
|Philadelphia Eagles||+7.5 (-120)||+250||U 44.5 (-110)|
New Orleans Saints vs. Philadelphia Eagles betting preview
The game vs. the Packers was another lethargic, lifeless performance by the Eagles, who look like they need a Top 10 draft pick and wholesale changes instead of a trip to the playoffs. The Eagles trailed 14-3 at the half and 23-3 early in the fourth quarter. The offense began to show some signs of life when rookie quarterback Jalen Hurts replaced Wentz early in the second half.
On his second drive, Hurts led a nine-play, 73-yard drive. It was capped with a 32-yard touchdown to Greg Ward that came on 4th-and-18. After 12 games, it looked like the play of the year, which isn’t saying much for a squad that has managed few fireworks.
Aaron Rodgers picked apart the Eagles defense, throwing for 295 yards and three touchdowns (two to Davante Adams).
Much attention has been given to the lack of offensive production and Wentz’s struggles, but the defense, with its high-priced defensive line and free-agent acquisition Darius Slay, has underperformed. Slay has no interceptions, and the Eagles defense has a league-low three interceptions. How bad is that stat? Ten individual players have four or more interceptions.
The Eagles’ four-game losing streak is their longest since 2016, Perderson’s first year as head coach. They will host the Saints (10-2) — winners of nine straight — on Sunday afternoon. Taysom Hill is 3-0 since taking over for Drew Brees, who suffered a rib injury. There is a possibility that Brees could return to face the Eagles.
Hurts will face one of the toughest defenses for his first NFL start. The Saints have surrendered fewer than 20 points in each of the past five games (the longest streak of any team this season). They rank in the top five in yards allowed per game (288.8 put them No. 1), rushing yards per game, passing yards per game, interception rate, sacks per pass attempt, and points allowed per game.
New Orleans Saints vs. Philadelphia Eagles betting stats and info from DraftKings:
- The Eagles are 4-8 ATS; the Saints are 7-5.
- Four of the Eagles’ 12 games have hit the over; seven for the Saints.
- The Saints have a 73% implied win probability.
- Marching on the road: The Saints have won each of their last 11 Sunday road games.
- Each of the Eagles’ last six games has gone under the total points line.
- The Saints have covered the spread in each of their last five games.
Week 14 promos at PA sportsbook apps
- Beat the Spread Bonus: $1 bonus for every point your team beats the spread by.
- Pigskin Parlay: Instant 50% cash boost when creating an eight-team parlay.
- New user deposit bonus: Get a 20% bonus, up to $1,000.
- Risk-Free $1,000 bet for new users: New users at FanDuel can get up to a $1,000 free bet. Register, make a deposit, and place a wager on the FanDuel sportsbook app. Then, if the first wager loses, FanDuel will refund losses in the form of a free bet up to $1,000.
BetRivers Free NFL Profit Boost every week:
- Log in to BetRivers online sportsbook every Sunday and get a 50% profit boost (max $50 bet).
- Risk-free $500 bet: Place your first bet, and if it loses, the Fox Bet sportsbook app will match it as a free bet up to $500.
- $1 bet pays $50: New users only. $1 bet pays $50 in free bets if the Eagles (or Steelers) score.
Eagles vs. Saints Week 14 bet boosts
- Jalen Hurts to record three+ total TDs boosted from (+425) to +475
- Saints, Packers, and Seahawks all to win boosted from (-102) to +100
(Max bet $50)
- Taysom Hill to score a rushing touchdown and Saints to win boosted from (+115) to +150
- Jalen Hurts to throw a passing TD and score a rushing touchdown boosted from (+300) to +400
- $10 bet pays $55: Each team two+ TDs and two+ FGs boosted from (+350) to +450
- Final score: Saints 27, Eagles 17 boosted from (+8000) to +10000
- Jalen Hurts to record 200+ passing yards and one+ passing touchdown boosted from (-110) to +110
- Jalen Hurts to record 200+ passing yards and one+ passing TD (yes) -100
- Tayson Hill and Jalen Hurts each to rush for a TD (yes) +520
Philadelphia Eagles 2020 odds tracker
(Odds via FanDuel Sportsbook)
|Sept. 1, 2020||Oct. 16 (Week 6)||Oct. 20 (Week 7)||Oct. 28 (Week 8)||Nov. 3 (Week 9)||Nov. 10 (Week 10)||Nov. 17 (Week 11)||Nov. 24 (Week 12)||Dec. 1 (Week 13)||Dec. 8 (Week 14)||Dec. 15 (Week 15)||Dec. 22 (Week 16)|
Complete Week 14 NFL odds at PA sportsbooks
Lead image credit: AP Photo/Jeffrey Phelps