Perhaps Philadelphia hasn’t been this happy with a loss since Rocky lost to Apollo Creed.
The Philadelphia Eagles lost to the Arizona Cardinals 33-26, but rookie quarterback Jalen Hurts provided plenty of excitement and lots for the Birds’ brass to contemplate with the $138 million franchise quarterback on the bench.
Hurts threw for 338 yards, ran for 63 more and accounted for four total touchdowns. It wasn’t enough, as Kyler Murray scorched the Eagles’ depleted defense for 526 total yards of offense.
The Eagles (4-9-1) are clinging to slim playoff chances, and with the Carolina Panthers vs. Washington game moved to 4:05 p.m., the Birds won’t know their playoff chances when they play. A Washington win would eliminate the Eagles from any chance at the NFC East crown (aka their only route to the postseason).
The Eagles visit the Dallas Cowboys and opened as a two-point favorite at Pennsylvania sports betting apps, with the total points line set at 49.5. By Sunday afternoon, the Eagles were 3-point favorites.
Betting splits for Eagles vs. Cowboys
Betting splits from FanDuel for Eagles vs. Cowboys:
- 75% of the money is on the Eagles (-3) to cover the spread
- 72% of the money is on the Eagles (-172) moneyline
- 72% of the money is on the over (50.5)
Philadelphia Eagles vs. Dallas Cowboys odds
Here are the opening odds at DraftKings Sportsbook, followed by the latest Eagles game odds.
|Philadelphia Eagles||-2 (-113)||-127||O 49 (-112)|
|Dallas Cowboys||+2 (-108)||+112||U 49 (-109)|
Philadelphia Eagles vs. Dallas Cowboys betting preview
On Monday, head coach Doug Pederson named Hurts the Week 16 starter — not a shock, since Hurts has kick-started a stalled offense.
Hurts is the first player in the NFL in the past 70 years to have 500-plus passing yards and 150-plus rushing yards in his first two career starts. He became the first Eagle with three passing TDs and one rushing TD since Nick Foles in 2013.
Still, the Eagles are having some of the same issues from before Hurts took over. After not surrendering any sacks against the Saints, the 13th configuration of the offensive line gave up six.
A defense decimated by injury was down another man when cornerback Darius Slay failed to clear concussion protocol. Undrafted rookie Michael Jacquet started in his place, and Marcus Epps filled in for Rodney McLeod, who is out for the season. The backups battled but were torn apart by Murray, who had a career–high 406 passing yards and three touchdown passes. Also, he rushed for 29 yards and a touchdown. Wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins had 169 receiving yards and one touchdown.
In Week 15, the Cowboys (5-9) beat the San Francisco 49ers, 41-33. Running back Ezekiel Elliot missed the game with a calf injury, and his status for the Eagles game is unclear.
It’s been a disappointing year in Dallas, and for the first time in 31 years, no Cowboy was named to the Pro Bowl roster.
Philadelphia Eagles vs. Dallas Cowboys betting stats and info from DraftKings:
- The Eagles are 5-9 ATS; the Cowboys are 4-10 ATS.
- Six of the Eagles’ 14 games have hit the over; eight for the Cowboys.
- The Eagles have a 53% implied win probability.
- The Cowboys have won eight of their last nine home games against NFC East opponents.
- Seven of the Cowboys’ last eight Sunday games have gone over the total points line.
- The Eagles have failed to cover the spread in each of their last five road games.
Week 16 promos at PA sportsbook apps
- Risk-free $500 bet for new users
- New user deposit bonus: Get a 20% bonus, up to $1,000.
- Risk-free $1,000 bet for new users: New users at FanDuel can get up to a $1,000 free bet. Register, make a deposit and place a wager on the FanDuel sportsbook app. Then, if the first wager loses, FanDuel will refund losses in the form of a free bet up to $1,000.
BetRivers Free NFL Profit Boost every week:
- Log in to BetRivers online sportsbook every Sunday and get a 50% profit boost (max $50 bet).
- Risk-free $500 bet: Place your first bet, and if it loses, the Fox Bet sportsbook app will match it as a free bet up to $500.
- $1 bet pays $50: New users only. $1 bet pays $50 in free bets if the Eagles (or Steelers) score.
- Beat the Spread Bonus: $1 bonus for every point your team beats the spread by.
- Pigskin Parlay: Instant 50% cash boost when creating an eight-team parlay.
Eagles vs. Cowboys Week 16 bet boosts
- Jalen Hurts to have 250+ passing yards boosted from (+150) to +200
- Jalen Hurts over 2.5 total TDs and Eagles to win boosted from (+250) to +275
- Eagles, Steelers, Ravens, Packers all to win (yes) +582
- Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts each to rush for 50+ yards and over 1.5 combined rushing TDs (yes) +700
- Andy Dalton and Jalen Hurts two or more passing TDs each boosted from (+225) to +250
- Jalen Hurts 250 or more passing yards and 50 or more rushing yards boosted from (+250) to +300
- Miles Sanders to score a TD in first quarter boosted from (+375) to +450
- Final score: Eagles 27, Cowboys 23 boosted from (+8000) to +10000
Philadelphia Eagles 2020 odds tracker
(Odds via FanDuel Sportsbook)
|Sept. 1, 2020||Oct. 16 (Week 6)||Oct. 20 (Week 7)||Oct. 28 (Week 8)||Nov. 3 (Week 9)||Nov. 10 (Week 10)||Nov. 17 (Week 11)||Nov. 24 (Week 12)||Dec. 1 (Week 13)||Dec. 8 (Week 14)||Dec. 15 (Week 15)||Dec. 22 (Week 16)|
Complete Week 16 NFL odds at PA sportsbooks
Lead image credit: Eagles vs. Cowboys Week 16 Betting Preview