College football, like pretty much everything else, faces uncertainty and lots of questions because of the coronavirus. But here we are for Week Two of the 2020 college football season. It offers a decent number of games for bettors to choose from.
Most colleges are giving the option of virtual or in-person betting, and sportsbooks in Pennsylvania are doing the same. In addition to retail sportsbooks at now-open casinos, there are nine online sportsbooks apps.
And there’s going to be a new kid joining the class when Barstool Sportsbook launches on Sept. 15.
A slimmed-down schedule but plenty of choices
Out of the 130 FBS programs, 54 opted not to play in the fall due to coronavirus concerns. A veteran bookmaker with over 40 years of experience, Johnny Avello, director of operations at DraftKings, gave his thoughts on the unique college football season ahead:
“I anticipate college football to do well and hold its own. On a normal Saturday slate, there are about 50 games, and you can’t bet all of them, or even half. Now, I think the concentration will go to the games we have, and that’s where the bets will reside. I feel hopeful for the season.”
College football Week 2 betting lines at PA sportsbooks
A complete list of NCAAF betting lines for Saturday, Sept. 12, can be found at our sister site, TheLines. Here, we hit some of the highlights, including PA bet boosts for Saturday’s slate.
Be sure to shop around Pennsylvania’s top online sportsbooks for the best lines before placing your wagers.
Clemson and Oklahoma start as heavy favorites
Notre Dame joins ACC as a temporary member and starts its season as a 21.5-favorite against Duke. The Fighting Irish have covered the spread in each of their last six home openers. Each of the Irish’s last four games against non-AP-ranked teams at Notre Dame Stadium has gone under the total points line.
In other ACC action, Georgia Tech visits Florida State. The Seminoles are favored by 12 points, and the over/under is set at 52.5. Last year, both teams were subpar at covering the spread. Georgia Tech covered 29.2% of the time and Florida State 34.6%.
Top-ranked Clemson visits Wake Forest, where they are 34-point favorites. Clemson covered the spread 73.3% of the time last season. The spread opened with them as 32.5-point favorites but has increased to 34.
No. 5 Oklahoma is one of the biggest favorites (-44.5) of the week for their games against Missouri State. However, Oklahoma has failed to cover the spread in six of their last seven games. Eight of the Sooners’ last 10 games at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium have gone OVER the total points line.
College Football Week 2 bet boosts
DraftKings college football boosts:
- Clemson -33.5 points and over 60.5 total points boosted from (+160) to +180
- Notre Dame, West Virginia and UNC all to win by 25+ points boosted from (+425) to +465
Fox Bet College Football boosts:
- Syracuse to record 150+ rushing yards and two rushing touchdowns boosted from (+130) to +175
- UNC to record 350+ pass yards and four TDs boosted from (+333) to +400
- Final score: UNC 41 – Syracuse 21 boosted from (+8500) to +10000
- Notre Dame to record 300+ passing yards and three TDs boosted from (+180) to +240
- Duke to record two-plus rushing TDs boosted from (+340) to +400
- Final score: Notre Dame 31 – Duke 13 boosted from (+9000) to +10000
- First score to be a Kansas TD boosted from (+125) to +150
- Coastal Carolina to record three-plus passing TDs boosted from (+250) to +300
- Final score: Kansas 35 – Coastal Carolina 21 boosted from (+8500) to +10000
*Bet boosts for all teams listed on Fox Bet app
College football Week 2 public betting splits
Week Two point spread largest % of handle:
- 96%: Houston Baptist vs Texas Tech (-39.5)
Week Two total points largest % of handle:
- 99%: Kansas vs. Coastal Carolina (under 56.5)
Week Two largest percent of handle moneyline:
- 97%: Arkansas State vs. Kansas State (-400)