In addition to the 2023 promotions, the Philadelphia Phillies have a bunch of new amenities, security improvements and food options to enhance the experience for Phillies fans at Citizens Bank Park in 2023.
The Phillies also have a ton of plans during the first home series of the season to honor the defending National League champions.
New food options at Citizens Bank Park
The Phillies added eight new food items to Citizens Bank this season:
- 1883 Burger Co.: A throwback to the years the Phillies were founded, the ballpark is serving fresh and never-frozen. Chicken tenders, Phillies Franks and boardwalk fries are also available at the stand. Available in Sections 109 and 207.
- Federal Donuts Chicken Tenders: Crispy, hand-battered chicken tenders served with an Everything Roosted dipping sauce.
- Mexican Street Popcorn: Tossed in-house with tajin spice, lime and cotija cheese. Available at Pass and Stow.
- P.J. Whelihan’s Cheesesteak Egg Rolls: A duo of golden fried egg rolls stuffed with Philly’s finest shaved steak and melted American cheese. Served with sriracha ketchup. Available in Ashburn Alley.
- South Philly Disco Fries: Roast pork, melted sharp provolone cheese, broccoli rabe and roasted red peppers. Available at Pass and Stow.
- Uncle Charlie’s Steaks: Named after 2008 World Series champion Charlie Manuel, this is a classic Philly cheesesteak served with cooper sharp cheese on a freshly baked Liscio’s Bakery seeded roll. Available in Section 109.
The Phillies didn’t forget about plant-based and vegetarian eaters, either. Those options include:
- Greens and Grains: A local restaurant chain to serve plant-based, fresh and fast food options. Available in Section 125.
- Miso Couscous: This vegetarian dish is served with couscous and accompanied by roasted baby eggplant, broccolini and romesco.
Manco and Manco Pizza, which was added to the ballpark last year, has added three more locations:
- Pass and Stow
- Miller Lite Liberty Landing
- Section 137
The main location is still located in Ashburn Alley and became a major hit among Phillies fans.
Ranking Citizens Bank Park’s new food for 2023
I have done a few food and bar critiques in the Philadelphia area since joining PlayPennsylvania. I graded Manco and Manco Pizza and also wrote about my experience at Barstool on Sansom when it first opened.
After sampling every item, I gave out my grades:
No. 9 – Mexican Street Popcorn
This was the lightest item on the menu. A great snack at the game, but won’t fill you up. I reserved the higher grades for food that’ll fill your stomach.
The burgers are served in slider form with pickles and a cheese sauce. Not bad, but it finishes eighth on the list. Fill up with chicken tenders, Phillies Franks and boardwalk fries at the vendor stand.
No. 7 – Greens & Grains sandwiches
Greens & Grains served two plant-based sandwiches: Gyro Pita and Chk’n Parm. Both sandwiches are made with vegan “meat.” They weren’t bad, and the chicken parm isn’t too far off from regular chicken, but wouldn’t be a top option for a non-vegetarian in my opinion.
No. 6 – P.J. Whelihan’s Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
Everything about the cheesesteak egg rolls should fulfill your fix of a cheesesteak with breading craving. I’m also a big proponent of ketchup, and the sriracha ketchup boosted the grade a notch.
No. 5 – South Philly Disco Fries
The fries are curly and topped with sharp provolone, broccoli rabe and red peppers. The fry itself was a good combination of crispy, but soft.
No. 4 – Manco and Manco Pizza
More locations are coming to Citizens Bank Park, just what fans asked for judging by the demand. I’ve been on record saying Manco and Manco isn’t my favorite pizza, but it scored well on this list. The thin crust and cheese-to-sauce ratio hit the spot.
I love burgers, pizza and fries as much as anyone, but the miso couscous was a hit. The couscous was tasty and flavorful, along with the eggplant and broccoli rabe. The flavor of the eggplant and broccoli made me want to like vegetables.
No. 2 – Federal Donuts Chicken Tenders
These tenders had the perfect amount of crispness and you’re getting a good bang for your buck with their size. The chicken tenders are not small and will fill you up after three. A high-quality item at the ballpark.
No. 1 – Uncle Charlie’s Steaks
Uncle Charlie’s Steaks takes the No. 1 spot. The high-quality steak is chopped and paired with cooper sharp cheese, which is quickly becoming my favorite type. And any bread with seeds enhances the quality.
New improved scoreboard and Phanavision
The Phillies will unveil their new Phanavision for the home opener on Thursday.
Here are key facts and improvements the Phillies made to the new scoreboard:
- 77% larger than last year’s scoreboard
- 152 feet wide by 86 feet tall (previously was 97 x 76)
- 4K capable and HDR system utilizing nearly 11.6 million pixels
- 3rd largest scoreboard in MLB
- Weighs 116,298 pounds and is supported by 190 tons of structural steel
Security improvements and Uber RideShare lot at Phillies games
The Phillies are making it easier for fans to get home after games, too. From the Phillies:
“Uber will be providing a RideShare in Lot T for all Citizens Bank Park and Wells Fargo Center events. Fans should exit the Third Base Gate and walk along Pattison Avenue toward Broad Street to enter the lot and request a vehicle, which will meet each rider in the designated area. The lot will also include an Uber-branded lounge with seating and a charging station.”
This feature is available on April 20 through the rest of the season.
The Phillies have also made improvements to security without jeopardizing the safety of fans. Sal DeAngelis, Vice President of Operations & Security at Citizens Bank Park, told PlayPennsylvania the Phillies installed a nonstop walkthrough entry for all fans, with or without bags.
Opening weekend plans at Citizens Bank Park
The Phillies plan on honoring the National League champions in their opening home series this weekend.
- Thursday, 3:05 p.m.: The National League champion Phillies will enter the field through Ashburn Alley and raise the NL pennant prior to first pitch.
- Saturday, 4:05 p.m.: Block party prior to the game.
- Sunday, 1:05 p.m.: Fans are encouraged to arrive early for the NL champion ring ceremony. Fans can take photos with the NL Championship trophy.