The Pittsburgh Steelers continue to make history in 2020.
They are off to a franchise-best 10-0 start. Only 16 other teams in the Super Bowl era have opened the season by winning their first 10 games.
Steelers team up with BetMGM
BetMGM is readying for its arrival in Pennsylvania by pairing up with a franchise with a huge fan base and excellent brand recognition.
What does the Steelers and BetMGM partnership include?
- Presenting sponsor of the Steelers Kickoff pregame show, which will be titled Steelers Kickoff Presented by BetMGM.
- In-stadium promotions and signage.
- BetMGM will have full use of Steelers marks and logos in communications across marketing, product, social media and digital properties.
- “Decade of Black & Gold” sweepstakes where, at the end of the season, one grand prize winner will receive two club-level season tickets and two VIP Hospitality Tent Passes for 10 years. In addition, weekly prizes will be awarded, with other entrants winning signed Steelers merchandise. The contest will run throughout the entirety of the NFL season.
- Game day media and weekly media, including radio spots within Steelers programming such as The Point After, Players Show, Preview Show and In the Locker Room Show with Tunch & Wolf (ESPN Pittsburgh).
- TV commercial spot to run during the Mike Tomlin Weekly Press Conference on Tuesdays, Steelers Weekly on Saturdays and Mike Tomlin Show on Saturdays.
Ryan Huzjak, vice president of sales and marketing, commented:
“We are excited to introduce BetMGM to Steelers Nation. Not only will BetMGM be elevating some of our existing platforms, but they will be introducing new and exciting opportunities to Steelers fans. We are looking forward to kicking off this partnership.”
BetMGM sportsbook in PA
Another key point of the partnership is that BetMGM will be the official sports betting partner of the Steelers once its online sports betting product arrives. Sources say that the BetMGM offering could launch in Pennsylvania as early as next week.
Matt Prevost, chief revenue officer, BetMGM, said:
“Steelers Nation is one of the most passionate fan bases in professional sports, and we’re thrilled to bring the excitement of BetMGM to Steelers fans. We’re eager to launch BetMGM’s gaming offering in Pennsylvania, and I can’t think of a better way to kick off our entry into the state than through this monumental partnership.”
NFL sports betting partnerships
The Steelers are the lone undefeated team in the NFL after 11 weeks. However, compared to the state’s other NFL team, the Philadelphia Eagles, they are lagging behind in terms of joining the sports betting/iGaming partnership party.
In November 2019, Unibet became the Eagles’ official casino partner. During the NFL’s offseason, the NFL amended rules to allow “official sportsbook partner” designations. Unibet and the Eagles took advantage of the ruling, and Unibet is now an official sportsbook partner of the Eagles.
It isn’t the only operator to hop into the nest with the Eagles:
- DraftKings: Official daily fantasy sports partner and official sports betting partner
- Fox Bet: 4,000-square-foot lounge and production studio at the stadium
Penguins have a sports betting partner, too
The Pittsburgh Penguins named Rivers Casino Pittsburgh and BetRivers.com the franchise’s official casino and sportsbook in late September 2020. A high-tech BetRivers sportsbook lounge will open at PPG Paints Arena as part of the partnership.
BetMGM’s path to PA
In a late October Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board (PGCB) meeting, BetMGM received approval for two operator licenses, one for interactive gaming and the one for sports wagering.
BetMGM’s parent company, Roar Digital, does not own a casino in PA. However, it does operate the Borgata in New Jersey, which received a certificate from the PGCB as a qualified gaming entity (QGE). The QGE would allow BetMGM to launch an online casino in PA without a land-based partner.
But QGEs can’t offer sports betting. To use the sports wagering operator license, BetMGM would have to partner with an in-state casino.
Online Poker Report gives more details about BetMGM’s winding road to PA and possible partners.
Steelers a winner for bettors, too
The Steelers opened the season with +2500 odds to win the Super Bowl and +1300 to win the AFC Championship. Currently, they are listed at +550 to win Super Bowl LV; only the Kansas City Chiefs (+300) have better odds. The Steelers have rocketed to +270 to claim the AFC crown.
Here are the Steelers’ odds to finish 16-0:
- DraftKings: Yes (+520)/No (-770)
- FanDuel: Yes (+700)/No (-1350)
The Steelers are also stellar against the spread, with a league-best 8-2 ATS record.