It was a dreary day of heavy rain in Philadelphia, and it ended with an ugly night of football from the falling-apart Philadelphia Eagles.
The Birds had a sluggish start and punted on their first five drives. They didn’t get a first down until their final drive of the first half. The 15-play, 75-yard scoring drive cut the score to 14-6. It was the best sequence in a terrible night of football for the Eagles. A career game by wide receiver DK Metcalf helped the Seattle Seahawks cruise to an easier-than-it-looks 23-17 win.
Leading up to the MNF game, the off-field drama was much more exciting than what the Eagles (3-7-1) were serving up on it.
Some key plot points in the made-for-Twitter-drama:
- Carson Wentz looks lost. Whose fault is it?
- Is it time to put in rookie quarterback Jalen Hurts?
- Owner Jeffrey Lurie didn’t attend the Cleveland Browns game and left a “few practices in “disgust.”
- Head coach Doug Pederson “wouldn’t be totally unhappy” if the Eagles fired him.
In the words of Clark W. Griswold, “Holy s___! Where’s the Tylenol?”
Of course, Eagles Twitter had some season’s greetings for the team after their Monday Night dud. However, it did have some last-second excitement. The Seahawks vs. Eagles game will probably enter the Hall of Fame of Bad Beats.
Backdoor cover by the Eagles
Pennsylvania sports betting apps opened with the Eagles as 5-point underdogs. By Monday, most books had moved the Seahawks to -6.5. The over/under also dipped from 51 to 49 or 48.5.
Betting splits from FanDuel for Seahawks vs. Eagles as of Monday:
- 92% of the money was on the Seahawks (-6.5) to cover the spread
- 88% of the money was on the Seahawks moneyline
- 68% of the money was on the over (48.5).
At BetRivers, 88% of the money was on the Seahawks (-6.5) to cover.
With the Eagles trailing 23-9, Eagles tight end Richard Rodgers caught a Hail Mary pass that was batted back to him for a touchdown with 12 seconds left. Two-point conversion fanatic Pederson decided to go for it, and Miles Sanders converted. Final score: Seahawks 23, Eagles 17.
Big bets that took a beating:
- A person in Nevada wagered $500,000 (to win $454,545) on the BetMGM sportsbook app on the Seahawks (-6.5).
- Another BetMGM user made a $189,190 wager (to win $171,991) on Seattle (-6.5)
DK makes Eagles pay
Eight wide receivers were picked ahead of DK Metcalf in the 2019 Draft, including object of Eagles fans’ ire JJ Arcega-Whiteside. Metcalf had more catches on the opening drive of the game than JJAW had all season. It was a career-best night for Metcalf, who had 10 receptions for 177 yards. (JJAW career stats: 12 recs/214 yards).
Pederson on the hot seat