The Army vs. Navy game is in a new location The fabled college football matchup of the nation’s service academies, a Philadelphia tradition, packs its usual fanfare on Dec. 11 into MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J in recognition of the 20th anniversary of the 9/11.
The series will return to Lincoln Financial Field Philadelphia in 2022.
Beyond the series score of 61-53-7 for Navy and recent history of four Army victories in the last five years lies this: Army has a strong 8-3 team this season and Navy is not as weak as its 3-8 mark suggests.
Army first in college football for rushing TDs (43) and second for total rushing yards (3313).
Army vs. Navy betting lines
Why you can’t bet on some college football games (Army vs. Navy) in New Jersey
Sports betting is legal in New Jersey and you can bet on college football. However, you can not wager on college games that take place in New Jersey and the Army vs. Navy game is in East Rutherford, N.J.
In Pennsylvania, you can wager on the Army vs. Navy game at any of the state’s legal, regulated sports betting apps. But PA does not offer player props for college football.
Army vs. Navy betting stats
Betting stats and info for Army vs. Navy
- Army 6-5 ATS; Navy 7-4 ATS
- Army 5-6 O/U; Navy 5-6 O/U
- Army averages 35.5 points per game; Navy averages 20.4
- Army allows 22.8 per-game average; Navy is 29.6
- Army is a yardage juggernaut, hitting at a clip of 394.8; Navy’s average is 283.3
- Army gives up 324.1 yards per game, Navy allows 359.8
Army vs. Navy game preview
The favored Black Knights carry a four-game win streak following a 70-56 loss to Wake Forest on Oct. 23. In their last outing, the Knights defeated Liberty 31-16 on Nov. 27. The Knights are in the midst of a stellar five-year program run. Since 2017, Army has a 43-19 record.
Navy, although 3-8, played tough in a 27-20 loss to BCS-bound No. 4 Cincinnati, on Oct. 23. Along the way, Navy was dropped by No.5 Notre Dame 34-6. It has played two of the nation’s top five teams. In their last outing, the Midshipmen enabled Pennsylvania bettors to hit the “over” in their 38-14 triumph over Temple Nov. 27.
These teams played in the last two Liberty Bowls. Navy beat Kansas State 20-17 in 2019 and Army lost to West Virginia 24-21 last year.
Expect the under
The pedestrian 34.5 total points line reflects the run-heavy, clock-eating option offenses employed by both teams. That strategy keeps offensive output low. The last time the point total from this game reached the 40’s was 2013, in a 34-7 win by Navy. Army won the 2020 contest 15-0.
Other betting insights
- Offenses exist by committees. It is difficult to pinpoint a first scorer or anytime scorer.
- Bettors will eye the spread and point totals.
- Those gambling on the over will hope for a few chunks plays that help the race against the clock and that one team falls behind far enough to emphasize the passing game.
- Army has enjoyed three explosive offensive outbursts of 63, 56 and 52 points this year.
Army vs. Navy players to watch
Top Players for Army
- Quarterback Christian Anderson leads the passing attack with 545 yards. He has also rushed for 519.
- Tyrell Robinson has the most rushing yards with 582.
- Isaiah Alston has the most receiving yards, 384. That’s on 18 catches, or less than two per game.
- Andre Carter leads the defense with 13.5 sacks.
Top Players for Navy
- Quarterback Tai Lavatai has 367 passing yards and 309 rushing yards.
- Isaac Ruoss leads the ground game with 608 yards.
- Carlinos Acie is right behind at 546 yards.
- Receivers Mychal Cooper and Chance Warren lead the team with 10 receptions. This is a ground-oriented team.
- Clay Cromwell leads the defense with 2.5 sacks.
Army vs. Navy series history
Navy has the series-record of 14 straight wins from 2002-2015. The matchup dates back to 1890, won by Navy 24-0. The first four games shifted sites between Army’s home of West Point, N.Y. and Navy’s home field in Annapolis, Md. In 1899, the series moved to Philadelphia as a midpoint between the academies. The rivalry is associated with a Philadelphia venue and has been played there far more than anywhere else.
Hosting sites include Franklin Field, JFK Stadium and its predecessor Municipal Stadium, Veterans Stadium and Lincoln Financial Field, site of the 2022 game.
The Black Knights are headed to the Armed Forces Bowl for the fourth time. They will face Missouri (6-6) of the Southeastern Conference Dec. 22 in Fort Worth, Texas (8 p.m. on ESPN). The Black Knights were installed as a 3.5-point favorite by DraftKings after that matchup was announced.
But first, it’s Navy.
Lead image: Eduardo Munoz Avarez/AP